friday night drags

Moderator: Moderators

friday night drags

Postby DDBBCVEGA » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:30 am

went out friday night and make a couple passes in the vega second pass let it go with my foot on the floor pulled the wheels go thru first but was down on power and I still havent figured out why my guess is that it was the new plugs I put in since thats all I did was change the oil an plugs from last time out the sixty foot was way off at a 1.37 then it got real lose around 300 foot sliding back an forth it felt like oil or something on the track so I had to lift and it went thru at a 6.10 dont remenber the speed but it was way down there
we are going back tonight for a few more test hits and come home early for work tommorrow (new job dont think they would be happy coming late from racing already) (everyone up there is a gearhead but....)
we need as many hits as we can get since next saturday we run the texas pro stock class and I'm sure we are gonna get our butts handed to us on a silver platter but hey gotta start somewhere and thats the bottom of the class for me (anyone wanna sponsor a vega LOL) well here's the launch from friday night
yes the rear deck lid came lose and yes I'll fix it today
I was a little slow on the lights too need to practice for next week it was .458 reaction time on a .400 pro tree
dave d
DDBBCVEGA

1971 Chevrolet Vega

well well

Postby DDBBCVEGA » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:35 am

figured out why the car fell off on power, last night went thru the valve lash and found some were loose ,tried to start it back up and it would barely run below 2000 rpm and wouldn't idle at all so I pulled the rockers to check springs an pushrods and well found three bent valves one weak spring so pulled the intake and found gold flakes all thru the valley hence the bearings went away causing valve slap causing the bends got the heads off and will pull the block this week

Im gonna start building the new engine(585) for the vega and replace the bearing an rings to drop the the 496 into my 71 camaro for my son to drive when he gets old enuff(2 years) but if I don't start it now for him 2 years will go by before I know it

biggest thing is I wasn't ready to take the hit in the wallet just yet since I just finished doing the chassis and I just started a new job (sales)(which takes awhile to build a base) ......guess we will have a small xmas in the donalson family this year
dave d
DDBBCVEGA

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby 2lucke4u » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:11 pm

Hi Dave
Great shots of the car,,only trouble with racing is that it becomes a money pit,,,far better than blowing the money on smokes or drinking,,its a sickness that can't be cured,,finally got the motor ironed out and need more traction,,,ordered new slicks today and rims to put 10 inches of et's under the coupe,,measured 20 times and they will fit,,should have them for the last race of the season here,,we will improve on our best all motor and nos pass,,then we are going to put in the 175 jets to finsh off the season,,hope to get her down in the low tens @130mph,,car spun too much with the 9inchers on there but still ran 10.90's,if we can eliminate the spin and boost the secondaries to 84's we could end the season with a bang,,then we wait untill next year and start it all over,,break it,,fix it,,go faster,,improve it,,,what fun,,
Charles
80 monza coupe,black,355,.488 lift cam,performer intake.B&M th350,tci 2200 stall,3.42 posi,street car,
74 GTO 350 4bbl,3sp,3.08 posi,buccaneer red
68 Firebird 400, 4sp,3.08 posi,black
2lucke4u

1978 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

money pit

Postby DDBBCVEGA » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:18 am

Well I got the ok with the wife to start building my new engine so now its just homework and money Dennis Faermen builds my engines and has for umpteen years he said we should be able to come in around 22,000 dollars for the new one thats all new parts
the other bummer is I gonna have to make new headers, engine plates, and etc to fit the tall deck block in the car. I will also have to put it in the car make them then pull it back out to dyno it so this is gonna take some time ...... dennis said it would take around 5 weeks once he gets the ok to start.......well there goes part of the down payment saved for the new house....ouch..... I fore see alot of long days at my new job coming :cry: well like they say speed cost money how fast do you want to go?
btw he predicts just under 1100 hp all motor 1071 was the actual number we came up with
DDBBCVEGA

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby 2lucke4u » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:31 am

Dave
like i said its a sickness,you will have to keep us posted on the project as it moves along,,for us guys in the midwest the winter goes real slow waiting to hit the track next season,,its like watching paint dry,,I get one more shot at it next Saturday,,then its over for sure as they are closeing down one by one for the season,,,
Charles
80 monza coupe,black,355,.488 lift cam,performer intake.B&M th350,tci 2200 stall,3.42 posi,street car,
74 GTO 350 4bbl,3sp,3.08 posi,buccaneer red
68 Firebird 400, 4sp,3.08 posi,black
2lucke4u

1978 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby zeke » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:23 pm

Awesome pics showing the torque reaction of the body! :shock:

Awesome wife allowing u to continue in your quest! 8)

I'd fix the current engine and buy the house tho ;) just mho man :)
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

money pit

Postby DDBBCVEGA » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:37 pm

well she told me if I ever get rid of the vega she will leave me and the current engine doesn't make enough hp to be compepitive in the class ,but most importantly I'm gonna fix it an drop it into my 71 camaro for my oldest boy to start racing I just had planned on doing it later instead of sooner he got about a year an a half before he race the car legally that doesn't mean he cant learn some basic in it now the car needs going thru also its been sitting in my garage for years a little tlc and it will be good......ok here's the kicker we dont really need another house she just wants a bigger one and well hell so do I we've been waiting an can wait a little longer
DDBBCVEGA

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby zeke » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:14 pm

Ah I see, just bigger house... too many rooms to clean then. :wink: I look forward to pics of your new engine install! 8) :lol: :D
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby mldeolde » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:59 am

you know you could power a fleet of Vegas with that motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

saga

Postby DDBBCVEGA » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:38 pm

well the new engine is coming along nicely we are still doing our homework dart is sending us a cut out of thier new 370 oval port high velocity head for testing, we also have gotten some help from warren johnson on the rings, the over all combo has /is being changed daily as we do more r&d but I am feeling really good about our chances next year sorry won't go into much more about the set up "lose lips sink ships" but you will see some spy shots as I can let them out
DDBBCVEGA

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Return to Drag Racing