Fuel pump and sending unit

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Fuel pump and sending unit

Postby BloFish » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:52 pm

I can not hear the fuel pump running in the tank with ignition switched on? In all honesty, I could no hear he fuel pump before this issue happened. Are they typically noisy enough to hear from inside the car?

“If no, unplug the oil pressure fuel switch plug above oil filter and run a jumper wire between the 2 opposing female blade connectors, turn on ignition, does the pump now run?”
No, no sound what so ever. When checking the fuse panel, with the ignition turned on, I have power to the electric fuel run fuse, and the elec. fuel start.
With the ignition switch on I have power to the brown wire at the sending unit. All connections are good, as are the hoses.
I assume at this point the sending unit is the culprit. :| Are they still available for a stock Vega?
Last edited by BloFish on Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BloFish

Postby gt350fme » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:56 pm

Probably time to drop the tank, you likely have electrical connection issues with the fuel tank sender or a bad fuel pump or both.
Let us know what you find, we will get through this!
Unfortunately new fuel senders are not available at all for the Vega, not even rock auto, all the parts your car will ever need, NOPE.
1964 Chevy panel K30
1973 GT Vega Hatchback
1977 Chevy K20
1984 944 porsche
1992 Lexus SC 400
gt350fme

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby BloFish » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:21 pm

When I checked rock auto, it has 4 or 5 listed there, I assume they are all wrong for a stock Vega. If so, what’s my next move?
BloFish

Postby BloFish » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:37 pm

I got the pump out, and all the connections look solid. There is a disintegrated section of rubber that connects the pump to the metal feed tube. That would appear to be the culprit. Although I am a little concerned that I couldn’t hear the fuel pump when the ignition switch was turned on :?
I would post a picture but it tells me it is invalid.
BloFish

Postby gt350fme » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:37 pm

That short piece of hose at the pump will strand you for sure, best to replace with new pump and hose while you have it all apart and you should be good to go.

You should hear the pump running with ign on, oil pressure switch jumped as described earlier, should also have 12 volts back at the sender assembly connection, think it’s the purple wire, without oil pressure or jumped safety switch, pump will not run, safety thing.

With engine running you may not hear pump running because of noisy engine and exhaust etc, and just turning the ignition on will not run the pump.

Posting a pic can be difficult, it must be a small pic like less than 256 KB

Your getting close to being back on the road.

Do you have a 4 speed or auto? Different subject.

P.S. Blofish, I now realize you where referring to fuel pumps that are very available, but the sender housings with fuel level sender are not.
Last edited by gt350fme on Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964 Chevy panel K30
1973 GT Vega Hatchback
1977 Chevy K20
1984 944 porsche
1992 Lexus SC 400
gt350fme

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby BloFish » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:17 pm

It’s a 4speed GT. I replaced the rubber hose and she fired right up. I will hake this as a win and get on down the road. While I had it apart, it looked like some of the ones listed on Rockauto for what that’s worth. Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it :th:
BloFish

Postby 74_Vega_GT » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:29 am

~ Glad you got it sorted out.
~ When we were checking out my vega fuel pump, we ended up sending it out to be rebuilt.
~ While the tank was dropped, we cut an access panel into the bottom of the trunk so that if we had to access it again, we would not have to drop the tank again.
~ We did not bypass the oil/fuel pump protection circuit. It is still active, but the fuel pump does not ( as stated by an earlier post ) activate until the engine spins up to provide at least 3lb. of oil pressure.
Good luck with your Vega
>I Love the H-Body forum and am grateful for it and all its members contributions, disclaimer below is directed at search engines.
> Photographs posted by this user (74_Vega_GT) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited.
1974 Chevy Vega GT Hatchback
1982 Chevy S-10 longbed 2.8v6 A/C
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Black
2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe,Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Silver Sapphire Blue
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster N.A., Aero-Blue
2008 Dodge Ram Longbed, Brilliant Crystal Pearl Black
74_Vega_GT

Previous

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech