barry grants "bad man"

Moderator: Moderators

Re: barry grants "bad man"

Postby monzabug350 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:16 pm

From what Ive seen on this subject I can see you"young guys" have not looked at some of the retro pictuers of 50s drag race pictuers of early dragsters.Some of them had 4,6,and eight carbs on thier engines. that inclludes "big daddy" Don Gartlits.You do rember him? No? Oh well,your loss.I had a 40 Ford coupe with a flat head engine and a Edelbrock 3 carb set up that up to a certain point in time would kick ass on most of the other "hot rods" of the day im my town.That is untill the SBC came on line.And yes,Vic made a tri-power set up for it. You could also get a 4 carb set up made by a company who I cant rember right now,but it was a cool set up,and made good power. The Bad Man set up is built along the 60s Autolite inline used in the TransAm ford race cars,but with many improvements.The price is around 1500 to 1800 depending on where and who you buy it from,manifold inclluded.BG also was going to develop a set up for Rat motors,but I dont think it ever made it into porduction.Check out the link on this site and enjoy! Makes me say "Yeah... thats what hot rodding is all about!!"
monzabug350

1979 Chevrolet Monza

Postby chevy art » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:40 pm

hey monzabug 350. that 4 carb setup from the 60s was called a Manafree system. believe it or not i was just thinking of that setup a few weeksa ago when i was thinking of the old days. i never used that setup, but it was popular with the serious racers. art
chevy art

Postby my79monza » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:42 pm

I remember back to the original Swamp Rat with the engine in the front
Guys like Big Daddy paved the way for what we have today.
It took a lot of courage.
Merle
my79monza

Postby Bill K » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:12 pm

I wish I had a man-a- fre setup today. This was and still is a very innovative induction system. It was unique because it placed each carb directly over the cylinder head intake ports. The carbs were staggered as a result and required a special linkage to move the butterflys correctly. If you can find a good working setup today it will cost between $2500 - $3000. This was also the carb arrangement used on the piss yellow Milner coupe of American Grafitti fame. A friend of mine is using this on his 32 Ford 5 window, quite impressive. Art will attest that even back in the day they were an extremely rare carb setup. The unit my friend runs is the only one I have ever seen and heard running.
Bill
measure twice cut once
Bill K

Postby 78spyder » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:35 am

Remember the company, Fuelish Engineering that used the 4 2 barrel setup? I remember it had a cool mechanical injection look and made impressive power for the day , was in the mid 80's.
78spyder

Re:

Postby barebonesracecars » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:00 am

vegadad wrote:.......The last time I saw any of them there were two sitting on a custom Buick V-6 Englese manifold. Imagine that two 3 barrels side by side on a V-6. Looked awesome, but I haven't been able to find another, not even a picture anywhere.

I recall seeing that back in school when I was still driving the V-6 Skyhawk. I may still even have Englese's brochure around here.
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Re:

Postby Bullet » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:28 pm

NixVegaGT wrote:What do you guys think about a dual 2-barrel carb setup side by side? Maybe that would be the way to go... Did Holley ever make a primary/secondary 2-barrel. Or Rochester or something..?

Chevrolet actually had a progressive 2bbl carb used on the late model inline 6 cylinder motors of the 80's, the ones with the massive integral head which had the intake and half of the exhaust cast with the cylinder head. Maybe 2 of those ina row or turned sideways. Of course being that oddball they aren't cheap, over $300 rebuilt.
Bullet

Previous

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech