A bit of EFI help needed

Moderator: Moderators

A bit of EFI help needed

Postby vegadad » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:52 pm

I'm thinking of putting a 4.2 liter (252 cu. in.) Buick V-6 in my Nomad. I'm so tired of fighting all the engine fit and cooling issues I'm having with the 350 V-8. What I have is a Don Hardy motormount and header setup. The motor sits so close to the radiator I can't put a fan on the front of the motor for cooling and the twin electric fans I have pushing through the radiator won't keep up with the heat buildup. Thing is I'd like to update to an EFI system and was wondering if a system from a FWD Buick would fit my motor? I could probably pick up a donor car for very little money and salvage all the sensors, computer and such I'd need. I've been discussing it with VegaTex and reading through the reference material he has recommended but would like to know if anyone in this forum has any first hand experience. Thanks for any help. :cheers:
John b. (in Missouri)
vegadad

1976 Chevrolet Vega Nomad

Postby shytebucket » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:20 am

Your current system might work just fine with a V6. What size/brand of radiator and fans are installed? What kind of peak water temperatures are you seeing now?
shytebucket

RE:EFI Help

Postby vegadad » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:40 pm

I am currently using a three core Radiator from a Skyhawk. Previously I was using an aluminum double crossflow radiator. I have two 12" pusher fans in front of the radiator. When it was behaving and I was in clean air it would run at 200 degrees. When I got in heavy traffic it would peak at 265 degrees. The front of the waterpump pulley is less than 1/2" from the radiator. The hood gets so hot when running it hurts to open it. I tried to use an engine driven fan but the engine shifted as I was decelerating and the fan ate the aluminum radiator. I haven't had time to check out what the new three core is doing at this point. I just think the V-6 would be kinder to the chassis as well as being easier to cool. I have also installed a new front spoiler (factory). Previously the sir duct under the car was blocked so all air had to enter under the bumper and through the grill. Without this block off it would overheat at idle.
:cheers:
John b. (in Missouri)
vegadad

Postby heinz057 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:43 pm

i have a 78 wagon with a 350 and the 3 row skyhawk rad and have no colling problems . are you using the v8 monza pulleys? got to have them. i also have a mechanical fan. i had it out today it only got to 200 in traffic and thats high 90 at the jersey shore.
heinz057

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby shytebucket » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:32 pm

John B., just switching to the Buick v6 you could expect to see water temps of 170 average and 220 peak with your old cooling system (assuming 100 degree weather).

If you find an OEM v6 radiator and fan/shroud that fits the Vega you would be in good shape. But, if you're not absolutely set on a V6 swap I would do what it takes to get more airflow through the core.

How are the two fans mounted up front? The fact that you had to add a blockoff suggests the flow from the fans isn't fully going through the core. Are you using a short water pump? It would even be worthwhile to go to a thinner core to make room for a fan. Or trimming the core support enough to make room for a larger fan in front.
shytebucket

RE:A little EFI help

Postby vegadad » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:58 pm

I sincerely believe the root of my problem is the Don Hardy frame mounts on the 350. They place the motor too close to the radiator. If I could switch to the Monza frame mounts and motor mounts I'd probably gain enough setback to enable me to use a more efficient fan system or so I've been told. I have a be-cool fan unit that would do the trick but needs room between the motor and radiator. I'd also have to change headers as I don't think the Don Hardy headers would fit with the Monza motormount system. There again I run into having to come up with money I can't afford presently. That's the good and bad of it. I love the sound of the V-8 it's a kick to drive. It does get raves at the cruise-ins (not to many Nomads in this area.) I have a perfectly good 4.2 Buick motor with reworked heads and think it would be a good setup for the car, but I'm still torn as I have other h-bodys that the V-6 could go in.
John b. (in Missouri)
vegadad

RE: EFI Help

Postby vegadad » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:46 pm

shytebucket,
If you're from the Reno, NV area you might have seen my Nomad as bought it from a gentleman that lives there. He had to sell it to get cash to restore a Mustang(sic).
John b. (in Missouri)
vegadad

Postby heinz057 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:36 am

is there away to modifie the mounts you have to move the motor back. also are you using the short v8 water pump?
heinz057

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Re: RE: EFI Help

Postby shytebucket » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:04 pm

vegadad wrote:shytebucket,
If you're from the Reno, NV area you might have seen my Nomad as bought it from a gentleman that lives there. He had to sell it to get cash to restore a Mustang(sic).

The first time I saw your car was when you posted pictures of it on another message board.
shytebucket

RE: EFI help

Postby vegadad » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:08 pm

heinz057,
As I said in a previous post, I'm using the Don Hardy frame mounts and headers. I'm also using a short waterpump. I really don't have the where-with-all or expertise to modify these mounts. While talking with a friend (sean72) he had told me that he used the same setup on his 72 Vega with the same results. The motor ened up too close to the radiator. He then switched to Monza frame mounts and Sanderson headers. I just don't have the resources to do that. I believe my best course of action at this point is to install the twin fans from a Ford Taurus to the front of my radiator support in the pusher mode. Seal up the area between the radiator support and the radiator, hopefully this will keep up with the heat buildup from this motor. I should also like to install a new hood with provisions for venting the underhood heat from the 350.
John b. (in Missouri)
vegadad

Postby spyder_xlch » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:45 pm

Not to get off the subject, I sort of got out of "hot rodding" when my Spyder disappeared in the early 90's. Got into Harleys and bikes in general since then but recently found another Spyder and am back into it. I'm not up on the newer (90's and up) Buick v-6. I was just curious about the 4.2 v6. Is it the same block as the 3.8 and 3.2? Also, what Buick V-6 has the biggest bore and what has the longest stroke?
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

RE: V-6's

Postby vegadad » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:05 pm

The 4.2 is a different block than a 3.8. It does, however, share the same crankshaft and heads, just a larger bore. They are also marked 4.2 on the block. The 4.2 block has larger oil passages from the pickup to the pump. The motor I have was from a blow-thru turbo application so it has the rolled filets on the main and rod crankshaft journals. I've also a set or mildly reworked heads for it. I was told that the motor had a Lunati cam but will have to check that as I go through the motor to freshen the gaskets. I believe the 3.1 and 3.8 share the same block with different stroked crankshafts. Quite frankly, that's a guess on my part.
John b. (in Missouri)
vegadad

Postby spyder_xlch » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:43 pm

I guess what I meant was, is the 4.2 the same outside as a 3.8? Is it a direct bolt in? By the way, vegadad, I will be going to look at those cars soon so I'll check on the things you asked about.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

RE: EFI Help

Postby vegadad » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Yes, the 4.2 block is dimensionally the same as the 3.8. Same motor mount location, so it is a direct bolt in. Sorry about the mixup. Cool beans on the help with Adee. I know she'll be greatful as am I.
John b. (in Missouri)
vegadad

Buick V6 engines

Postby 95formula » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:56 am

Having extensive knowledge with the buick V-6 engines. It's a 4.1 Liter not 4.2, Evening firing engine. Everything from a 3.8 except for pistons and cylinder heads are interchangable. The other interesting thing about the 4.1 Liter buick is it came stock with a 4 barrel manifold and quadrajet carb.
95formula

Next

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech