Help to ID Holley carb, with unusual modification?

Moderator: Moderators

Help to ID Holley carb, with unusual modification?

Postby JohnP » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:25 pm

I have an 800 cfm double pumper Holley I was thinking about changing the main body on it to an HP style, to use on my Vega with its 400sbc. Car is auto.

Before I do that, I want to figure out what is already on my motor. Only numbers I see on it are 2762, I searched the web and Holley site with no luck on that number.

Carb seems fine, needs a good cleaning, but seems set up a bit unusual to me. There is a screw in the linkage to make the secondaries open very quickly, if I blip the throttle quickly at idle or try to nail it from standing, it bogs. From standing to get it to not bog I have to rev to about 2-3k rpm while holding brake then it will take off without a bog.

I've looked at it numerous time, even put on a new fuel inlet lines, but never really noticed it does not have a rear metering block or secondary pump. Is this a mod for drag racing, and because the car has NOS setup and is an automatic?

I also never noticed it has annular booster. Could it be a 9379, 9380, or 9381 750, 830 850 cfm repectively?

This other carb I have laying around is in good shape, I took it off a big block car I have, very little mileage on it, just though I'd try it to see if Vega ran better with a different carb. But maybe its not worth spending money or time.

Here are a few pics of carb. Thanks for opinions
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnP

Postby Astre-mutt » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:42 pm

Doesn't the screw make it adjustable when the secondary comes on? With the screw where it is now stop the primaries from opening all the way?
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

1976 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Postby JohnP » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:47 pm

Yes, screw make secondary open very quickly, they do open all the way at full throttle.

If I moved the screw farther away in the slot, it would limit how much the secondaries would open.
JohnP

Postby Astre-mutt » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:54 pm

Sorry I screwed up. It's a vacuum secondary carb modified to mechanical. Surprised it works at all. Realized as soon is I hit send the linkage is there to close, not open secondaries. Carb has to be running lean when you punch the throttle.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

Postby heinz057 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:53 pm

on the front of the airhorn is a number . it should start with a letter like L or R then a number.
heinz057

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby JohnP » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:43 pm

I did not look there :oops: THANKS!

Its a 3310 750cfm vacum secondary.
JohnP

Postby megavega » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:53 pm

Thats a vacuum sec carb that someone has removed the vac.bowl off of, thats why theres red silicone plugging up the vac. feedhole on the pass side. They have a screw on the linkage to open it like a dbl pumper, cant imagine it works real well, would lean bog like it is. You should see a big improvement on the car by replacing the carb with a complete carb or a dbl pumper series carb.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby JohnP » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks for input guys, it helped me decide to try the double pumper. I diassebled and cleaned the carb in preperation for a Proform HP type main body I ordered for it.

It was a warm day today, so I went out to my storage shed and pulled the old carb off the Vega.

To my suprise this is what was lose at the bottom of the intake.
It must have been glued on, broke lose and turned upsidedown.

Whats the deal with this thing, When turned over it looks to help direct flow into the runners. Intake is Victor Jr.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnP

Postby Sirshredalot » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:31 pm

Thats an intake "turtle"...they dont really do much.
Supposed to even out port flow and prevent fuel puddling,,,but it doesnt. I never have seen a gain....leave it out.

The carb is a vac sec carb and would probably work fine if you put the vacuum port back on it.
The carb also does not have annular boosters.

Someone hillbilly'd that dude....lots of guys do that cause they think it makes their carb like a mechanical sec carb....it doesnt.

Thats def where your bog is coming from....if you need a vac sec module...lemme know...Ive got half a dozen or so sitting around.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby res0o7eb » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:58 pm

Interesting thread. Carb looks good, but on closer inspection by experts ...
Astre-mutt wrote:It's a vacuum secondary carb modified to mechanical. Surprised it works at all.
I didn't even know that was possible - obviously it isn't.
Sirshredalot wrote:Thats an intake "turtle"...they dont really do much.
I have never heard of that nor seen one before.

Learned something new from you guys - AGAIN!
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby JohnP » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:25 pm

I was curious who made these "turtles" found this.

http://www.brodix.com/parts/turtles/turtles.html

Anyway, I was off Monday for the holiday and we had a really warm day so I tried starting the Vega with its new carb. Last week I tried but it was too cold and I had not adjusted the floats right, gas poured out the vents and down the carb, this combination of flooding and cold, it would not start.

But this time it started pretty quickly and idled at 1k rpm. I had drilled the 3/32 holes in the throttle blade as I learned to do here. And adjusted the throttle plate to only expose the transfer slot so it was a square. I did not drive the car, but throttle was very responsive, I did notice a slight hesitation when giving quick pulls on the throttle by hand. I had some 35 downleg squirter and replaced the ones that came on the Proform. That did the trick and engine responds quickly, without any hint of stumble or hesitation, no matter how quickly I hit the throttle. Can't wait for a nice day to go for a test drive. I think this carb is going to work a lot better then that 'hillbilly" rig I took off.
JohnP

Postby Sirshredalot » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:18 pm

what size squirters came on the proform body?
What size cam are you running?

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

Postby Astre-mutt » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:43 pm

John, a beer can full of gas, with two holes poked in it would work better then what you had before. Now the real fun starts, tuning it. You should see a big increase in performance and driveability right from the start. You may run into some problems running a double pumper with your automatic trans. (may have to run manual valve body if your not already) It will take some time, but when you finally get the carb dialed in I'm sure it will seem like a completely different car.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

Postby JohnP » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:59 am

I don't know what size squirter came on the proform, they looked smaller then the 37's I put on.

I don't know the specs on the cam in this car.

I believe my trans is setup with manual valve body. :oops: but I'm not really sure, what makes it maunual? There are no additional cables from carb to trans, its shifts hard thru gears when in drive, and I can shift manually thru gears.
JohnP

Postby Sirshredalot » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:09 am

a manual valve body is like a manual tranny, you have to put it in 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd everytime you want it to shift.
if you just put it in drive than it will take off in 3rd gear.

also...a motorcan rev very quickly and be very snappy in park when rev'd freely but still be a bog machine in gear.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

Next

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech