CAI (somewhat) theory for carb'd SBC

Moderator: Moderators

CAI (somewhat) theory for carb'd SBC

Postby 73Sedan » Fri May 30, 2008 7:26 pm

Has anyone ever used the blower motor intake as a means to deliver outside air directly to the carb?? You know, the round hole next to where the heater core hole that will get filled in and smoothed out. It seems that this should be a water free air supply even if at cruising speeds. Does enough air travel through without the blower motor "sucking" air through this portal?

It seems that the hole is large enough to fabricate a flange to hoseclamp a large flexible conduit with say a K&N cone filter within it and then to a large elbow atop the carb.
73Sedan

Re: CAI (somewhat) theory for carb'd SBC

Postby mldeolde » Fri May 30, 2008 8:37 pm

haven't done that but did do this setup thru my firewall on my first 75 Monza 350 2+2 and it made a hell of a difference in the performence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby v8astregt » Fri May 30, 2008 8:41 pm

Wow Bruce, that was exactly what I was thinking to do to the Astre! Haven't decided yet, don't know if I want to butcher the firewall for that, or just go through the battery tray.

But to the OP, there is plenty of power to be made with a CAI. I'm thinking the battery tray idea for simplicity's sake (my battery is in the trunk). I don't think the blower motor will give any boost in power over a standard free-flowing intake, but it might be interesting. I remember a video on the net where someone hooked a leaf blower up to a little import and it actually made boost and upped the horsepower! A blower motor isn't nearly as powerful though.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby 73Sedan » Fri May 30, 2008 9:09 pm

mldeolde (Bruce?) - I did see your early post about that, and Josh - I'm not talking about using the blower motor - I simply thought that the large diameter hole there would provide a good amount of air flow that did not come from under hood. Basically, I'd like to plumb something nice that also allows me to not cut a hole in the factory hood.

I'm looking at a 4.5" diameter hole in the firewall that gets air from the cowl (or so it appears) - even if a dryer tube were run from that to a 90° elbow atop the carb would provide OUTSIDE air into the mix - SO, just how much filter would really be needed for a trailer queen run only at the strip??? I'm thinking a fine mesh screen would suffice - just to keep the flies out, LOL.

Note: I miss the showing of username's real names in the quick profile. I tend to read a lot (and fast) and don't often remember names.
73Sedan

Postby spyder_xlch » Fri May 30, 2008 10:26 pm

Doesn't Marco have his air intake ducted to the firewall/cowl area?
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Astre-mutt » Sat May 31, 2008 7:41 pm

If getting fresh air is good, then getting pressurized air is better yet. Air in front of the radiator support, and at the cowl are both pressure area. The benefit of using the cowl is less induction tubing running around your engine compartment.

Hay Josh, I always like the low profile your car has without a scoop. The pic is for you. Maybe you could even slip that 302 you have under it? :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

1976 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Postby v8astregt » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:06 am

73Sedan- Ah, gotcha! Reading you loud and clear. That would probably work good... better than cutting a hole, but then again, I smoothed my firewall completely so that wouldn't work for me!

Thanks Astre-mutt. That's one of my favorite things about my car too... leaving the factory hood. It's a nice looking design, and it only adds to the sleeper look.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech