powwer valve on racing carb

Moderator: Moderators

powwer valve on racing carb

Postby chevyart » Fri May 30, 2008 9:57 pm

like to hear your thoughts, for and against using a power valve in the front of my race carb so i dont load up driving around the pits. keep in mind this is strictly a drag strip car and never will see the street. seemlike a good idea to prevent loading up idling and traveling in the pits, but i worry that it might malfunction and not open up, causing a lean out condition. wost that can happen the other way in case of a backfire and the power valve diaphram ruptures, the i will get gas through it equal to a bout 6 jet sizes bigger, which is ok as I went down 6 jet sizes when i put in the power valve. like to get lots of thoughts and experiences i this matter. thanks chevy art
chevyart

Re: powwer valve on racing carb

Postby spyder_xlch » Fri May 30, 2008 10:23 pm

The power valve won't do anything for your situation. You are on the gas or off the gas. The power valve is mainly working at cruising speeds.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: powwer valve on racing carb

Postby waybad » Sat May 31, 2008 8:57 am

chevyart wrote:like to hear your thoughts, for and against using a power valve in the front of my race carb so i dont load up driving around the pits. keep in mind this is strictly a drag strip car and never will see the street. seemlike a good idea to prevent loading up idling and traveling in the pits, but i worry that it might malfunction and not open up, causing a lean out condition. wost that can happen the other way in case of a backfire and the power valve diaphram ruptures, the i will get gas through it equal to a bout 6 jet sizes bigger, which is ok as I went down 6 jet sizes when i put in the power valve. like to get lots of thoughts and experiences i this matter. thanks chevy art

Everything I have read about pV's is that they open on a drop of vacuum ( like when you floor it) this helps overcome all the air that is rushing in along with you main jets, to keep you from leaning out, you will not be in you main circuit just idleing around the pits and in the staging lanes, this is the idle circuit that is running your motor.
Tinker
waybad

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech