propane and nitrous

Moderator: Moderators

Re: propane and nitrous

Postby 73astregt » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:52 pm

my buddy had a ford 1 ton pickup 4 by 4 on propane. we hauled his stock car all over ontario for years with it and he plowed snow commercially in winter .that truck had 1 million km on it when he got rid of it and it was still running good with a bit of blow by. power was not a problem as hed done some engine work to use the propane.( i think he shaved the heads to raise the comp ratio). 360 cu in motor. ford. only problem i remember him having with it was one summer night leaving the track we got about a mile from the track and the truck stalled and wouldent start. what we found was that the coolant in the rad was low and the evaporator (or whatever its called) froze up! were talking 90 degree weather here lol!) we had to let it thaw and find a brook to fill the rad back up then we where back on the way home.
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Re: propane and nitrous

Postby beakerztoyz » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:30 pm

wow thats a lot of info, the reason my buddy wants to run the propane is that it is already on his truck, so rather than buying a gas tank and a carb and all that it is easier to keep it on propane. we asked around at the racetrack and people told us to use a bigshot kit, and to be sure to add more propane when the nitrous kicks in, same as with gas. my personal experience with propane, i had an 83 gmc dually 454 4 speed just propane. set proparly, milage didnt drop power didnt drop. shop that converted it said power would be within 5 percent up, down, sideways when converted right, timing needs to be different, use a different spark plug, propane runs hotter {i think}. That engine had over 400,000 kms on it and still ran like a top. i think if a guy built an engine for propane he could get even more benefits. lots of people say propane will freeze up but it never happened to me, apparantly if its colder than -60 deg celcius it could. the other trouble people have is trying to run gas and propane, then you cant in my mind adjust the engine to run right on either so your always splitting the middle. thanks for all the input T.J.
1980 notchback sunbird... 355
1980 monza spyder.... v8

If I woulda known then what I know now....I never woulda got an h body
beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Previous

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech