Cold Air Intake or Ram Air Systems ?

Moderator: Moderators

Cold Air Intake or Ram Air Systems ?

Postby V6Monza » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:14 pm

I am sure that I am not the first who has limited space for an air filter between the carb flange and the Monza hood. Some low filters will fit, but are left to draw in hot vs, cold air from the small Monza engine compartment. Is a solution to relocate the air filter box to the space behind the right headlights - like a modern car - and somehow also end up with a "Ram Air" intake behind the Monza grille ? I was considering trying to adapt a cold air intake system (like the Volant), but all that I have found do not adapt to carbureted engines. Does anyone know of a 3" or 4" tube adapter that will attach to a carburetor? Has anyone else worked this our, OR is the hot air really not a concern?
V6Monza

Re: Cold Air Intake or Ram Air Systems ?

Postby bugdewde » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:27 pm

There are carb "hats" that sit over the carb opening and are used to convey air to the carb on some of the late seventies buick 3.8L turbo motors. Then any hose could be used to attach to the outside air. I think Marco had a red one at one time?????

Maybe the 70's GM diesels had this carb "hat" too????

Do a search on ebay for OFFY or OFFENHAUSER........ occasionally, their version comes up.... but most are for the early Rochester/Carter carbs with the smaller 4" opening.

Similar to this, what turned up on an ebay search for "carb hat" : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Procharg ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carburet ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pair-of- ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carb-Hat ... 18Q2el1247

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carb-Hat ... 18Q2el1247

You get the idea.........
My old Rochester 4-Jet on the 215 V8 Vega had the smaller carb opening. I found an air cleaner for an 80's GM throttle body injected car that was real close to the opening size... had to open it up just a tad. Air filters were easily available at any parts store.... even Walmart. From the same junk yard that I got it from, I found several under hood intake hoses ranging is sizes and construction. I pieced a few together and attached to the stock air inlet next to the radiator ...... worked great.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby NixVegaGT » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:28 am

I was thinking about this too. On the early Vega the round running lights under the bumper seem like a good place to take air from. I was also thinking I'd cut a hole through the worthless battery tray and put a cone filter under there. I could use one of these plenums then. OR maybe I could fabricate something that takes air from the Ram Air III hood scoops I'd like to add:

- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby V6Monza » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:06 pm

All - the input is very helpful. I will start out with standard air cleaner, and keeep looking for an appropriate (and cost effective) carb hat.

It is not clear if a cold air intake is worth the trouble for a V6, but in theory it should be.
V6Monza

Postby bugdewde » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:45 pm

Sure, in theory it is a good idea..... I'm sure it is in real life, too. That's why all the race teams don't use stock set ups.

I just wouldn't expect to see any significant gains that the cold air intake people claim on a stock vehicle. I don't think you'll see any real improvement by the seat of you pants...... but it will sound louder without the stock air cleaner housing to muffle the intake charges.... making you "think" you've got significant improvement.

There has been lots of testing on this over the years by the manufacturers and race teams alike.... it is a proven method of getting every little ounce of available power out of the engine...... that's why they do it. Just don't expect $100 worth of performance out of a $100 worth of cold air intake. It nets small gains..... but it does net gains.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby NixVegaGT » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:26 pm

Indeed. You don't need something designer. Make your own out of spare parts.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby spyder_xlch » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:28 am

Ram air only works because of the cold air to the intake charge.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby jdandboo@hotmail.com » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:10 pm

Hmm,nothing wrong with air tubes,,but i defo planned on a functional L88 Style hood,,Cowl-Induction to the max,,form-n-Function all in one,,,err-but lately I been lookin @ TPI and supercharging,,Will I ever get this built???The options are trul endless, ,, :bang:
jdandboo@hotmail.com

Postby Hauge » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:35 pm

On monzas thare are two problems as I see it. First the small clearance between carb and hood. Second is badly designed engine compartment ventilation.
The temperature under the hood is always at least 20-25 degrees C above exterior temp, 30-35 if i recall right at low speeds. Yes I have had a cheap digital thermometer mounted the last two seasons to check.
A rule of thumb is 1% increase in power per ten degrees Farenheit which should give a few horsepower extra with an air duct or cooler engine compartment.

Personally I am looking into the cooler engine compartment path which gives a few extra advantages. I´ve made a fiberglass hood that Im thinking about making louvre openings on about 3-5 decimeters from the front which is a low pressure area.

Second thought is to make the small front spoiler more effektive by mounting a plywood or alu sheet behind it to increase airspeed (which gives lower pressure) under the front of the car which also should help to lower the compartment temp.

To get a ram-effekt (ram-air) you have to drive really fast, its not obtainable at normal speeds.
-76 Monza 2+2, 400", 8.8 rear ... if Ispell funny sometimes, Its because I´m Swedish and Hauge is a Norwegian name
Hauge

1976 Chevrolet Monza

Postby mldeolde » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:57 pm

here are some pictures of my quick and easy"STEALTH" cold air cowl induction system on my original 75 5.7 litre 2+2 monza .never dynoed results but it felt like between 35 and 50 hp. to say the least a substancial performence increase.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby jdandboo@hotmail.com » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:34 pm

hmmm,just sold a 95 T/A motor(told em $500 core too!!-i want that motor back,lol)and on the tpi the intake is all in the front(manifolds r tucked n thight too!!)If you got a true L-88 cowl induction style hood(or fabricated the lower part yerself???)OHHH!!I see you came in @ the wiper box!!Also didn't notice the alignment of accessories,,ewww.I dont wanna lose that huge compressor(only nice place i see for alternator).darn,reversing the upper intake would only work if i went with the front distributor style(mmmm,not!!!)Alas ,TPI causes a dilenma,,,.Perhaps I should dust off that old Edelbrock C-26???Another path blocked-Where do we go now captain???? :bang:
jdandboo@hotmail.com

Postby danfigg » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:33 am

I got one of these. Saw it in the hotrod /carcraft magazines--danfigg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danfigg

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby mldeolde » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:17 pm

DAN THAT'S PROBABLY THE BEST SYSTEM ... DOES IT DRAW AIR JUST FROM THE WHEEL WELL AREA OR IS IT ROUTED TO A HIGH PRESSURE AREA UP FRONT UNDER THE GRILL OR SOME WHERE ELSE???? :idea:
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby spyder_xlch » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:40 pm

mldeolde wrote:DAN THAT'S PROBABLY THE BEST SYSTEM ... DOES IT DRAW AIR JUST FROM THE WHEEL WELL AREA OR IS IT ROUTED TO A HIGH PRESSURE AREA UP FRONT UNDER THE GRILL OR SOME WHERE ELSE???? :idea:

If you look under the bumper you'll see two big ugly scoops.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby HAULIN' IT » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:20 pm

Guys, Here are a couple of home-made ones (not H-body) but you get the idea. These were made from parts of several stock air cleaner housings. The one on my truck goes to holes behind the grille. My brother's Mustang is routed to fiberglass "boxes" we made to fit in the fog light holes. This could work in the parking lamp holes on the Vega/Monza's & put a small light in the lower corners of the grille. Lorne
HAULIN' IT

Next

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech