E85 Carb MN

Moderator: Moderators

Re: E85 Carb MN

Postby NixVegaGT » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:48 am

I called the guy from this place, Hitech. I told him about the carb possibilities and asked him what he thought I should do. He told me something that totally confounded my motorhead comprehension about carbs.

SO I was asking him about a couple carbs I was looking at. He goes: "Just get yourself a standard 4150 750 and bring it in. We've got all we need to make it run E85." I'm all: So I what about the billet metering blocks? You know for E85 compatibility?" He's like: "Dude, don't worry about getting all that stuff. Just get a simple 750 and we are golden." I'm like: "But I'm only running a 300 ci engine. What about low end throttle response?" He returns: "All that stuff about needing to match the max CFM to the ci and redline comes from guys that don't understand how to tune a carb. Guys that are just buying carbs off the shelf and bolting them on. Trust me we can make a 750 work fine on your 300. Then you will have a carb that will work on a bunch of different size engines just in case you change your mind about what you are putting it on." So I'm finally: "… Ok… Huh. Interesting."

I have to admit it flies in the face of all that car mag bs I've read since I first got into cars. Interesting stuff. I ended up getting a standard 4150 650 (4777). Mechanical Secondary, double pumper, no choke. Well I guess that's covered now.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Re: E85 Carb MN

Postby Sirshredalot » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:05 am

I always tell my friends that dont know how to tune a carb, to go small...600/650cfm...but in all reality...I dont practically feel that an engine CAN be overcarbed.
Everyone said that my tunnel ram would be over carbed with only 327 cubic inches....but the throttle response is amazing and it never hesitates...IM actually wanting to get a pair of 650's for it.

I hope everything turns out great for ya Nick, Im excited to see you get it all together and get some track times to us.

Now I just need to get me a pair of those E85 monsters.

Keep us posted because the suspense is killing me...lol

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Previous

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech