accelerator cable

Moderator: Moderators

accelerator cable

Postby AusRs » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:37 am

Hmmm
after sitting around for 3 years my cable appears to have gotten very stiff :( looks like i need a new one ,the one i have comes out of t he firewall and loops around on itself then connects to the linkage (which i thought was weird )
I did operate on the cable to make it sort of work and shortened it to about maybe 8 inches long (outer cable that is) appears to work nicely However i would like to replace it with something a little better than what i now have ,i most likely can get one made here if they are not available just wondering what length they should be :)
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Re: accelerator cable

Postby BillPappy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:14 am

I had the guys at Lokar make me a cable. I work in his shop now in then.
I think my cable it 16in long Im not saying go buy Lokar He thinks his stuff is
gold. SHHH don't tell him I said that
http://www.lokar.com/
It's hard for an old street racer to stay on the safe side of stupid

Pappy
BillPappy

Postby v8astregt » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:16 pm

I just used a "Spectre" universal cable... same as the Lokar, but not as expensive. But I don't know how easy either would be for you to get in Australia.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby AusRs » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:49 am

v8astregt wrote:I just used a "Spectre" universal cable... same as the Lokar, but not as expensive. But I don't know how easy either would be for you to get in Australia.

yep its the getting in Australia thing that is the issue
remember all carbies are in reality made for LHD cars .now that may sound silly BUT look where the linkages are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
most cables on Aussie cars are over 3 feet long !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i cut mine (snapped the fitting off the carby end ! DOH ) welded the end back together :) (thankfully it was not brass) cleaned it all up ground a slot to fit the cable in and crimped it in the vise with a length of pipe ) .appears to hold time will tell though !
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech