Tuning a tunnel ram

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Tuning a tunnel ram

Postby Sirshredalot » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:47 am

Hmm....I got in an argument with a friend about this....Is that really true?

Than why does the OEM use two different line sizes? 1/4 for rear and 3/16 for front....volume only?

IM willing to take Clydes word for it, and believe Chuck, that there isnt enough pressure differential to make a difference, but I would like an explanation. Just so I dont go around mis-informing my friends or customers.

God bless
-Shred

Also, back on topic, forget about staging the linkage, make it 1:1 and youll never have to worry about mixing and matching accelerator pump shots for front vs. rear carbs....if youve got enough gear and converter, this will not be an issue.

Yeah Clyde, I catch alot of flack from people at work because I look less credible than I am...or at least as credible as I THINK I am...lol...either way...IM THE MAN!!!...hehe.
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby cosvega76 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:31 am

Shred,

In a brake system, you are not looking at enough volume through a small enough orifice for a long enough period of time to make a significant pressure change occur. It's a volume vs. time relationship.

For example: if the master cylinder has a 1" bore, and you move the piston 1/2" to apply the brakes, you have displaced approximately .785 cubic inches of fluid volume. A 3/16" brake line (assuming a .030" wall), has an area of .012 square inches, while a 1/4" brake line (also assuming a .030" wall) has an area of .028 square inches. Even though the 3/16" line has an area of less than half of the 1/4" line, it still is a large enough area not to pose a significant change in area to create a pressure increase during the milliseconds it will take to move that volume in a panic stop. Any normal brake application is expanded over a longer period, so the possibility of a pressure spike is reduced significantly.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby spyder_xlch » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:04 pm

Here's a tunnel ram for you to set up, Wes. http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13670
If you get that to work you can do anything.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Sirshredalot » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:26 am

You dont know how often Ive thought about that....but thats freakin sweet.

Always wanted to try a few Q-jets on a tunnel ram.

If I didnt think my wife would change it, that would be my new wallpaper for my computer.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby vegon71 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:24 pm

Now thats some great info :) I saved this in my favorites! Later I was wanting to go with a tunnel ram and this will help me out greatly :th: I love the wow factor with the ram,,,nothing like Engine sticking out of the hood :dance:
vegon71

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Previous

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech