EFI fuel pump

Moderator: Moderators

EFI fuel pump

Postby 79monzaman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:21 pm

I have a 79 monza that I planning to put a TBI 4.3 V6 in. What is the best fuel pump to use and where do I mount it?

Thanks
79monzaman

1979 Chevrolet Monza Hatchback

Re: EFI fuel pump

Postby cosvega76 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:35 pm

I would suggest one from, say, an '88 S-10. With a little tweaking, it should fit right where your old electric pump is now in the tank.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Jitterbugdude » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:32 pm

cosvega76 wrote:I would suggest one from, say, an '88 S-10. With a little tweaking, it should fit right where your old electric pump is now in the tank.

Chuck

OK, I'll bite... what is "a little tweaking"?............ Randy B
Jitterbugdude

Postby cosvega76 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:02 am

There may be a slight difference in the length or girth. In other words, it may not drop right in. It should be close enough to fit with a little bending to the bracket on the bottom, and it may use a different "sock" on the fuel inlet. Match it to the old one as best as you can.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cozwurth » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:50 pm

cosvega76 wrote:There may be a slight difference in the length or girth. In other words, it may not drop right in. It should be close enough to fit with a little bending to the bracket on the bottom, and it may use a different "sock" on the fuel inlet. Match it to the old one as best as you can.

Chuck

If the S-10 pump is the same size as a V-6 Fiero pump, it will take a little more than bending the bottom bracket. I used a V-6 Fiero pump in one of my Cosworth Vegas, and I had to add about 1/2" in length to the bracket. It was a very simple mod to make. The girth was fine. I don't remember if I used the Fiero sock or a Monza/Vega sock. I made that mod over 15 years ago, so the memory has faded a bit. I took some pictures of my modded bracket, but I'm not home to get them right now. I'll try to remember to post them when I get home this weekend.
Dave
And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that you are not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise up against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes in diverse places. All these are the beginnings of sorrows. MATT 24:6-8
cozwurth

1974 Chevrolet Vega Panel Express

Postby ColinOpseth » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:29 am

You can also use a TBI pump from a thirdgen F-Body. Just make sure it's from a TBI car and not TPI.

I have a three-port TPI pump setup I'm going to run with my LT1 (if I ever get the exhaust done). It looks like it'll fit with minor bending of the fuel pickup assembly.
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby TimMcCabe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:09 pm

Don't forget you will need some kind of reservoir to prevent fuel starvation while cornering and braking.
The Cosworth has a little tray the fuel pump sits in to keep the pump submerged in fuel at all times.

I have the fuel pump for my TPI mounted in the center opening of the fuel tank with a new 3/8” line coming out the top of the tank. I used the original fuel line as the return line. (I don't even know if the Monza has the flange in the center of the gas tank like the Vega)

The fuel pump sits in a plastic can with a small jet pump in the bottom that keeps the can full of fuel all the time. I was running a TPI pump, but now I have a Suzuki Hayabusa pump (over 255 liters/hr@ about 90psi :), no fuel shortage for my stock TPI)

Cheers,

Tim
1972 TPI Vega T56 6 speed

Contact me for all of your Tachometer needs
TimMcCabe

Postby cosworth0135 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:21 pm

For those interested, I replaced the stock in tank(low pressure), with a 86 fiero tpi pump on the cosworth, should have the same pickup/sending unit as the other vegas,as the tank it self is different on cosworths not the pickups or in tank pump. I had to cut the end off that holds the sock(and the pump) and extend it about 2.5 inches because the fiero pump is longer, its easy and would work great on any tpi motor. simple cheap and do it yourself, I am also pretty sure other intank gm pumps are the same as well,, P.S. the fiero pump is only $15 on ebay, sure beats a $130 walbro, or equivalent, with some research you could do the same mod for a TBI system as well(using a gm TBI pump they have a pressure of 18psi , A very wise elderly friend of mine taught me to spend time thinking, before spending money with my wallet. I came up with this fix because of the high cost of a replacement secondary(high pressure) pump on a cosworth,,,TImmy
i currently drive a geo metro,insert silly joke here,, but i'll pass you while your getting gas
If you don't have time/money to do it right the first time,how will you have time/money to do it again. Timmy
cosworth0135

Postby 75Monzta » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:07 pm

GM TBI systems utilize 9-13 psi and have set regulators (brazed) so they are non adjustable. 18psi will cause a different fuel spray pattern and you may have to "turn down" the pulse width to make sure you don't get rich readings on your INT (Integrator) reading on your scanner and on your BLM (Block Learn Multiplier) readings. Custom chips can take care of having to modify your regulator.
Eric Ruybalid
SR Performance
75Monzta

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cosworth0135 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:17 pm

That may be true but GM TBI pumps push 18 psi This I am sure of I also know for a fact they work for a Holley projection system , been there done that it's how I am sure of my prior post and that it will work they are also the same dimension as the high psi pump like the 1986 fiero that I have in my cosworth tank right now and if I can get on in there with the factory slosh baffle of the cosworth tank then regular vega owners should have no problem. and on the regulator the GM system has it's own regulator so you won't have to turn anythting down be cause the rgulator will bypass any unused fuel and unnecessary presure back to the tank just make sure you don't use to small a return line or it will hike up the pressure and cause problems but if your installing a tbi system you have read that somewhere already
i currently drive a geo metro,insert silly joke here,, but i'll pass you while your getting gas
If you don't have time/money to do it right the first time,how will you have time/money to do it again. Timmy
cosworth0135

Postby MonzaRacer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:56 pm

GM pump may deadhead 18 psi but all gm TBI use a return system with regulator in TBI unit, if you use it with a carb , use a return style adjustable regulator
MonzaRacer

Postby 78spyder » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:55 pm

Is there any reason you cant use a return style regulator at the pump near the tank and run the return line right there back into the tank ? I realise it may not be as sensitive to changes, but I can imagine its really splitting hairs, But the oems run the line the whole way back for some reason. I was planning on using a short return on a carbed set up but I wonder how that might work on an efi setup like a Powerjection 3 or Holley?
78spyder

Postby bill1978v8 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:20 pm

I'm using the Corvette fuel pressure regulator/filter with a short return on mine. It is mounted under the back of the car with a short return line. Mine is set at 58 psi from the factory and reads 59-60 psi on my gauge. I don't know why you couldn't use a regulator back there set to the correct pressure. It would make adjustments a lot harder but you could set it and forget it.

BIll
1975 Monza 2+2, 4.3L V8, Auto
bill1978v8

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Rickracer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:38 am

One of the major benefits to a return style regulator is that they keep cooler fuel near the carb, returning back by the tank instead of near the carb negates this benefit, :wink: 8)
Rickracer
ASE Master Auto Technician, 36+ years
'76 Vega Notchback, Twin Turbo 355/TH350 (soon to be a Powerglide w/Brake), 4 link, Koni Coilovers, 3.50 geared 9" w/Spool & Moser Axles, drag only, best all motor 1/8 mile pass to date, 6.90@99mph, 6.57@107.0 on a 60 shot, Best 1/4, 9.66@139.78, still tuning...
Project Album: http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i4/Ri ... 20Begins/'
93 S10 RCSB, Hyd. Roller Vortec head 363 ci SBC, 2800stall lockup 700R4, LS Front Brakes, Narrowed F*rd Exploder 8.8 disc brake 3.73 posi rear, 8.0s@89 mph, (all motor, haven't sprayed it yet...)and tows the Vega to the track too
Rickracer

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Postby bill1978v8 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:58 pm

I do agree with that statement. :oops: I should state that my system is a returnless set up but that I built a bypass regulator into it for convienence of plumbing.
1975 Monza 2+2, 4.3L V8, Auto
bill1978v8

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Next

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech