Stock carb info please

Moderator: Moderators

Stock carb info please

Postby cap-10 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:45 pm

I'm trying to get my monza to pass CA smog. I know that there were some chevy monza's that came with 350 4bbl (75-77?). The refree at the smog inspection center is telling me that his books only show the chevy monza's with the V8 only came with the 305 and 2bbl. My question is how can I get proof that shows that there were indeed monza that came with 350 4bbl? I am hoping that someone might know if there were any 4bbl equipped monza's produced in 1977? I have a 77 Mirage that I replaced the 305 2bbl years ago and installed a 350 4bbl. Refree is telling me that I have to replace my intake manifold and change to a 2bbl carb because there were no chevy monza's that came with a 350 4bbl.

cap-10
cap-10

Re: Stock carb info please

Postby cjbiagi » Wed May 20, 2009 10:14 pm

There were no 350 4 barrell Monzas sold to the general public. All came with 2 barrell carbs. I believe there were 2 350 4 barrell experimental cars made but it was not a factory option. Sorry for the bad news. I still have my original 2 barrell intake and carb if you have to go that route. The 350 was only available in 1975 in California.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cap-10 » Fri May 29, 2009 3:10 am

Thanks for the info Clyde, Sorry for the late post (working on the road) I may take you up on that offer. Right now I am gathering info. to show the referee that there were monza's that came with 350's!! :censored: Things are real bad here in CA with the refree's. Just an example was when he said I had to replace all of my MSD ignition system because it was not CARB approved. He was on the phone for over an hour with the regional inspector just to make sure. The referee refused to look it up on the web. I went home and It took me 2 min. on the MSD ignition website, and sure enough all my parts are CARB approved. I called the regional manager about this and the reply was "well the parts have to have the CARB approved stickers on all the ignition parts". Called MSD about what happened, there reply was what a bunch of B.S. they are sending me the stickers. Just one of many obstacle that I am having to overcome. So guys make sure your aftermarket parts have those stickers!

Does anyone know the RPO Code for that rare Monza 350 4bbl ? I was looking at the VIN code breakdown and there is a (K) engine code,any info on this would be very appreciated. Was there a tow hitch option? my Mirage has one and it looks like a factory install.

Thanks
cap-10
cap-10

Postby greg72 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:43 am

man! stories like this keep reminding me why I don't want to live in California!

And sometimes its just not California--- I am always amazed to hear about the grief people have when trying to register older cars.

Things like failing a car for NOT having catalytic converters BUT the exhaust emissions pass! Isn't that the whole reason for the original converters??? Now the car passes without them!! AAARGH!!

(and it doesn't have the weight of the converters, might even be getting better gas mileage!! LOL)

and then hearing about all the time this referee took going over this ONE 32 year old car!

......makes my head hurt!
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby greg72 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:46 am

The trailer hitch might have been a dealer install.... I am thinking they were never a factory option, maybe a tow pack was but that usually does not come with the actual hitch, just heavier duty cooling , the wiring for the lights , etc (at least that is how the Buick Roadmasters were equipped).

Although I could be wrong about the H-bodies, I am sure others will be able to more accurately answer your hitch question.
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby deronmoped » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:27 am

Yeah

California sucks. The states latest plan will make all diesel trucks, construction equipment... illegal! They are going to force all of these construction companies to replace all their engines to pass smog. This will make the cost to us citizens go up for pretty much everything.

Of course government equipment will be exempt.

I hope the state does go bankrupt, that would be the only way we could probably to get them to cut back on all the crap they keep piling up around our necks. You do know it is up to our necks now?

Deron.
deronmoped

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech