'Red' Holley Fuel Pump

Moderator: Moderators

'Red' Holley Fuel Pump

Postby kam » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:34 pm

Question.

I added a red holley pump inline to a new 3/8 fuel line plus am still running the pump in the tank. Has anyone done this?

Also, is there a better way?

Will the fuel pump's life be shortened because it must draw fuel up through the top of the tank?

Thanks,

Kerry
1976 Vega SB 350
kam

Re: 'Red' Holley Fuel Pump

Postby lincolnolli » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi Kerry!
I'm running exactly the same setup.Red pump up front,no problems whatsever.
Technically it even helps the oem pump..
Olli
lincolnolli

Postby kam » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:44 pm

Olli,

Thanks! Nice to know it works well.

Do you have problems with noise? The new pump I installed rattles the entire car. I may try tightening it up more and or adding some more rubber layers between the sheet metal and the pump bracket.

Kerry
1976 Vega SB 350
kam

Postby lincolnolli » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi Kerry!
Well,i expected the loud noise they are known for.But mine's really quite!
This is a used one from a friend,maybe they run in with time?
The rubbermats helped some of my customers big time.
Oh yeah:Don't bolt the pump to the body,like holley wants you to!
I think that causes the noise in the first place!
There are rubber pieces that have screws "melted/baked" in on both sides.Like some motormounts,you know.Use this stuff.
I think MSD sell them for there boxes too.

My pump lays somewhat free in a homemade rubber box..Not really nice,but effective..LOL..

Olli :wink:
lincolnolli

Postby 72 SS PNL » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:28 am

try mounting it on some water treated balsa wood , with the rubber pads or isolators

but yeah holley pumps are known for being loud
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Sirshredalot » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:56 am

To tell you the truth...It will hurt things. Maybe not immediately but it will.

Say you holley red pump will PULL 90 GPH free flow with a 3/8 line.....now choke it off with a 1/4 pickup that is inside the factory fuel pump and you will starve the Holley for gas....making it work harder...even if the factory fuel pump is still working.

Even worse if the factory pump is dead or off.

The holleys do make lots of noise...I use the MSD 7AL mounts to isolate them from the frame...and I put a strip of rubber between the pump and the clamp...that way it at least wont transfer noise into the chassis.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby kam » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:08 am

Shred,

What would you recommend then in place of using a Holley pump?

Thanks for the info on the mounts, I'll try that.

Kerry
1976 Vega SB 350
kam

Postby Sirshredalot » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:06 am

The holley pump is fine....I just would recommend removing the factory fuel pump from the system....all you would need to do is replace it with a piece of rubber hose or a piece of steel/aluminum line with a few compression fittings.

There are quieter pumps out there....geroter pumps like a mallory is a very quiet, but the holleys perform well and take the abuse.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby 72 SS PNL » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:49 pm

ive known alot of people to use a stock pump , and use a lot higher volume pump after it

the stock pump will out flow the suction of the red pump , which is why small pushers work , how ever if its something you are really wooried about you can run the stock pump into a small surge tank mounted a little higher than the red pump

unless you are gonna have a very high horse power motor , i think youll be fine with the stock feeding the red
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Ishiftem » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:48 pm

Yeah, don't worry about the stock pump starving the Holley pump. Unless your fuel demands are significant. Also, depending on where your holley pump is located, the stock pump could be helping. Most aftermarket pumps are good at pushing fuel but, not at pulling it. That's why it is usually best to mount the pump in such a way that it is gravity fed which also usually requires some type of sump be added to the tank.
Any one can restore a car but, it takes a real man to cut one up.
Ishiftem

Postby superspirit » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:11 am

ok guys look at it this way ford used a low pressure lift pump in the tanks and a high pressure pump up on the frame to supply the high pressure fuel injection system in their trucks it is a very dependable setup, so you are on the right track
ase master auto tech 20 years
2001 shadow spirit 1100
96 blazer 4x4 daily driver
75 monza 2+2 in progress
superspirit

Postby vegon71 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:18 pm

I have never heard of the dual pump set up like that but sounds like it should work. I scored a Holley Red pump at a swap meet last summer for $5.00, the guy said it didnt work when he bought it at a swap meet, so I took it home and found out it was just stuck from sitting (it was dry) :D works great now :wink:
vegon71

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby res0o7eb » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:37 am

superspirit wrote:... Ford used a low pressure lift pump in the tanks and a high pressure pump up on the frame to supply the high pressure fuel injection system ...
vegon71 wrote:I have never heard of the dual pump set up like that but sounds like it should work.
Have you heard of a Cosworth Vega - one of the first GM cars with EFI? Yep, that's how GM did it.
vegon71 wrote:I scored a Holley Red pump at a swap meet last summer for $5.00, the guy said it didnt work when he bought it at a swap meet, so I took it home and found out it was just stuck from sitting (it was dry) :D works great now :wink:
Yes, nice score on the Holley pump and good troubleshooting, too. :th:
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby Rickracer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:08 am

I build a plate to mount the pump to, then mount the plate to the body on 3 bolts with grommets in the sheet metal and flat washers on each side, so the pump mounting plate is totally isolated from the body. You can even use grommets and flat washers in the mounting plate and the body for double isolation. Works great, makes em almost silent!! :wink: 8)
Rickracer
ASE Master Auto Technician, 36+ years
'76 Vega Notchback, Twin Turbo 355/TH350 (soon to be a Powerglide w/Brake), 4 link, Koni Coilovers, 3.50 geared 9" w/Spool & Moser Axles, drag only, best all motor 1/8 mile pass to date, 6.90@99mph, 6.57@107.0 on a 60 shot, Best 1/4, 9.66@139.78, still tuning...
Project Album: http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i4/Ri ... 20Begins/'
93 S10 RCSB, Hyd. Roller Vortec head 363 ci SBC, 2800stall lockup 700R4, LS Front Brakes, Narrowed F*rd Exploder 8.8 disc brake 3.73 posi rear, 8.0s@89 mph, (all motor, haven't sprayed it yet...)and tows the Vega to the track too
Rickracer

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Postby ck_carnut » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:44 pm

res0o7eb wrote:
superspirit wrote:... Ford used a low pressure lift pump in the tanks and a high pressure pump up on the frame to supply the high pressure fuel injection system ...
vegon71 wrote:I have never heard of the dual pump set up like that but sounds like it should work.
Have you heard of a Cosworth Vega - one of the first GM cars with EFI? Yep, that's how GM did it.

Yep. Also how BMW did it through the mid-80s. Not suprising, as the Bendix and Bosch systems from the era are very similar.

-=Chris
My fleet:
'75 Cosworth Vega #1103
'77 MG Midget
'91 BMW 318is (the next project)
'00 Ranger (Parts hauler and occasional tow rig)
'09 WRX (her DD)
ck_carnut

1975 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Next

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech