help car car falters at the track

Moderator: Moderators

Re: help car car falters at the track

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:24 am

80 MONZTA wrote:
HI WINDING MONZA wrote: ( a glass inline filter replaces the carb filter)

I just have to say, if you have a glass filter, get rid of it now BEFORE it cracks and dumps fuel everywhere, just don't want to see anyone's car burn't up. Several years ago I wanted one of those neat looking glass filters, until I saw online pic's of a nicely restored car that had one of them crack and started a horrible fire.

Those glass filters are great!!!

You buy one, chuck the internals, drop the glass over your index finger, grab a guitar and poof! Instant blues slide!!

Forget the pricey guitar store versions of the exact same thing! And if you need an emergency fuel filter on the way home from a gig, your all set! :mrgreen:
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby AusRs » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:15 am

my quadrajet is a manual secondary quad ! everything appears to work as it should ,will now wait till i re run the fuel lines to see if that fixes the problem
i never liked the way the fuel lines have to cross from drivers to passengers side so i will run the new line up the passengers side
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby monzajer » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:41 pm

Aussie, there are a few other things you may want to check out,

1) there is a larger needle and seat available---supposed to be for racing---allows more fuel faster.

2) there are different floats available again allowing more fuel into the bowls

3) the wall between the primaries and secondaries has a fill hole---this hole can be enlarged (with pin drill bits) to allow faster filling of the secondary wells.

4) no more than 9PSI should be allowed for fuel pressure. The carb will not work right or maybe not even work. It has happened to me. High volume, but not high pressure.

5) the accelerator pump can be changed out to a 2 bbl pump allowing a "bigger shot" (this requires machining the housing to accomodate the larger pump)

6) there are different size jets, secondary rods, secondary rod hangers and hanger cams.

7) there is a small set screw under the right side of the air horn(this is where the choke normally hooks up to the primary butterflies) by adjusting this screw you adjust the tension thereby adjusting the opening timing of the primaries and can somewhat lessen the "bog" This can be adjusted even if the choke has been deleted.

8) don't "overcenter" the throttle blades. This will create an adverse air flow/fuel mixing situation.

9)if you were to use a pull fuel pump out of the tank then a fuel filter (steel canister-make sure the arrow points the right direction) and then a push pump that may help to solve the problem. Some guys we used to roundy-round race (IMCA modifies) with used this method and said they had very good results. This may be overkill but it still an idea.

a few of these may help in your quest for the running out of fuel problem and the others can possibly help you go faster, faster.

Also, if you can use a "cool can" that could help some.

The Q-jet can be a very good carb if modified correctly or just simply tuned correctly. A 650 CFM to 750 CFM carb (the Q-jet)is really quite alot of carb and can work very nicely for many differnet size engines, including a 383.

There have been alot of very good ideas here and all are worthy.

I wish you all the good luck possible and please keep us posted

You have an awesome lookin' car. Thanks for representin' down unda.

cheers jer
monzajer

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Postby Len » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:36 am

Hey Steve have you tried any of theses solutions yet ? Hope you don't try all at once as it will probably solve the problem.
but you wont know which one fixed it ?
Len
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby AusRs » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:04 am

I figure the only things i have not changed on the car are the fuel line and the charcoal canister line

Replaced the fuel line today and fitted a speedflow vent in to the tank and ran a line down lower than the tank (in case of roll over ) blew lines out ,reconnected everything ,car ran well for about 2 minutes .........now all it does is flood ,i presume i now have some crap stuck under the needle and seat :(

anyone have instructions on how i fix that issue ??
AusRs

Postby AusRs » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:10 am

Thanks Len

feel like a dope now ......i forgot you can clear a carby by putting hand over top of carby when running !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AusRs

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:58 am

80 MONZTA wrote:
HI WINDING MONZA wrote: ( a glass inline filter replaces the carb filter)

I just have to say, if you have a glass filter, get rid of it now BEFORE it cracks and dumps fuel everywhere, just don't want to see anyone's car burn't up. Several years ago I wanted one of those neat looking glass filters, until I saw online pic's of a nicely restored car that had one of them crack and started a horrible fire.

Yes, I've heard of this before, been using it for many ,many years now. I think when people replace the element inside, they overtighten it and it cracks the glass. I do keep a eye on it all the time to make sure it doesn't happen to me. Thanks for the consern ....................... :wink:

Doug in Az 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby AusRs » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:40 am

tidied up and took the car off of the stands today
went for a run
NO hesitation whatsoever ,chirps 2nd gear now ,today was 35 C so hopefully i will not have this issue re surface again
thanks for all the help
fuel line is now running on the passenger side of the car ,avoiding that firewall crossover of the lines
AusRs

Postby AusRs » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:06 am

here are a couple of pics of a manual secondary quadrajet for anyone interested
and a link to the nostalgia pictures

http://www.badgerphotography.com.au/200 ... 20WSID.htm

http://www.badgerphotography.com.au/200 ... 20WSID.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AusRs

Postby monzajer » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:48 am

Steve, glad to hear things are better for you now. How fast did you run? Many nice looking rides there.

cheers jer :mrgreen:
monzajer

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Hatchback

Postby AusRs » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:52 pm

monzajer wrote:Steve, glad to hear things are better for you now. How fast did you run? Many nice looking rides there.

cheers jer :mrgreen:

best run was 15.3 (again ) however its really hard to do anything when you drop 1to 2 seconds when the car just dies ,now i have it sorted out i will have to go back to the track to get a better idea on times
AusRs

Postby AusRs » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:12 am

well its amazing how things change
Now i have a 330 hp vortec engine fitted in the car with performer rpm manifold and holley 570 street avenger carby
started the car today it runs now all i need to do is get it to the shop for a tune
interesting to see how it goes at the track now i appear to have all issues sorted out
AusRs

Previous

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech