aftermarket fuel system

Moderator: Moderators

Re: aftermarket fuel system

Postby 72 SS PNL » Fri May 14, 2010 3:32 pm

i like by-pass systems over dead heads , if only for 1 reason , which is vapor lock which is very prone to dead head systems

by-pass systems keep the fuel moving , so alot less chance of the fuel boiling in the lines
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby chevy art » Fri May 14, 2010 8:32 pm

eric thats a good point, and probably a good idea. it can be done very thats my idea for a good functioning fuel system artsimply for street type cars like the old factory setups on the 63 and 64 chevy 409 engines. that helped a problem with lines running too close to engines and just sitting in lines after engine was shut off. the bypass systems we were debating on were thought to be necessary due to very high pressure electric fuel pumps and they are necessary for sure when you get into the category of fuel injection pumps and the very large volume and pressure racing pumps. the little stuff does just fine without the bypass ssystem. just a little time taken to keep lines away from high heat areas and no big bends and all should be well.
chevy art

Postby chevy art » Fri May 14, 2010 8:36 pm

hey shred i promise not to yell at you if you go with the ultra bypass system, but your wife will yell at you if she sees the bill for all the russell lines and fittings you will have to buy. you will have to open your wallet real wide for all those parts good luck art
chevy art

Postby rtm » Fri May 14, 2010 9:18 pm

THE ORIGINAL POSTER PIPES IN; :wink:
A friend asked me today, "why bother with an electric pump at all?
your engine should do fine with a mechanical fuel pump, it will supply MORE than enough fuel, and costs a great deal less.
I wanted to argue the point, but he is older (not sure if he's wiser), and has built more high perf. vehicles than me.
whether deadhead or bypass, what are MY benefits w/ an elec. pump / regulator?
thanx again guys, you have my mental gears turning. :th:
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
Thomas Jefferson, (Attributed)
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
rtm

1976 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby chevy art » Fri May 14, 2010 11:37 pm

rick the mechanical pump would probably work, but would probably not give you what you need at high rpms coming through the traps. mechanical pumps are good for street cars but they dont do well pulling fuel all the way from the rear cell all the way to the front and definitely working against a drag car that is trying to run away from the fuel in the rear. an electric pump pusahes the fuel after it sucks it out of the cell and gets a good volume up to the front with good pressure, especially when pulling in high gear near the end of quarter. someone is going to say that nascar cars use mechanical pumps but they are probably the most expensive, best engineered fuel pumps know to man. thats my take on mechanical pumps. PS rick, maybe your friend would have run even better with an electric pump. just a thought art
chevy art

Postby Monzsta » Sat May 15, 2010 7:56 pm

I'm setting up my car for efi. Were I work we build fuel systems for the cars we twin turbo, so after agonizing over how to do my Monza's, I had a bright idea. Just treat it as if it were a car at work. There is a nice flat 45 degree panel near the top rear of the tank. I cut the panel out and am fabricating a panel/hanger that will hold two walbro 255lph pumps, each capable of supporting 500hp. This also allows me to make a simple fuel dam/baffle to keep the pump socks wet under braking. I left room for a third pump should I ever need it. I'm taking a page from the aviation industry with rivets and pro seal, but being near the upper region of the tank, I don't anticipate any trouble.

I'l run -8AN line up and split it to two -6 lines, one for each rail. the other ends of the rails will tee into a single -6 to a regulator that will be vacuum/boost referencing, then returning to the tank. I was kicking around a semi-dead head system from the regulator to the rails, but talked myself out of it.
Monzsta

1978 Chevrolet Monza Hatchback

Postby cjbiagi » Sat May 15, 2010 10:01 pm

I believe there is also a clearance issue with a mechanical pump, that's one reason they went to a electric pump in the first place.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Previous

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech