my dualjet is leaking

Moderator: Moderators

my dualjet is leaking

Postby monzacoupe » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:25 am

Help required, or at least advice please. Drove my '80 coupe to work today and it didn't quite make it, stalled a mile from destination :( . When I looked into the engine bay there was gas pooled on either side of the carb on top of the motor. Got the beast towed home and have thought for the last hours that, Hey, I can rebuild her! My thought now is this... sometime in the past, before I bought it, the canister that was in the front passenger side(is that the charcoal emission filter) was removed and the hoses leading to/from the carb have been plugged using rubber tubing, silicon and a screw.

Is it worth my time rebuilding this McGyvered carb or replacing it?

How tough is it to replace this carb while working on a small budget?

Should I put the canister back in?

Thanks,

Rick
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Re: my dualjet is leaking

Postby monza75tc » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:55 pm

There are some on ebay kind of expensive you can find them for less, think I paid about $30.00 for the one that I bought. What you have to be careful about is the linkage and hookups.

Dick

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-Bui ... ccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-Che ... ccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-ROC ... ccessories
monza75tc

1975 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby starfire383 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:25 pm

If your local emissions testing overlooks the charcoal canister, then you can too. Plug all carb lines going to the canister. Put an inline fuel filter on the fuel tank line going to the cannister, as it's the fuel tank vent. The inline filter will prevent bugs & junk from clogging your tank vent.

It's too bad monojets are so tall and H bodies have such a low hoodline. IMO they're a far superior carb to the dualjet, and about as complicated to rebuild as a lawnmower carb.

good luck
starfire383

Postby monzacoupe » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:24 pm

Carb kit is on the way, soon time to do my first carb rebuild! Suspect that the float was getting stuck and calling for too much fuel.

Rick
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby Sirshredalot » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:33 am

Those dual jet carbs are VERY sensitive to float height adjustments and fuel pressure.

If the float is a 1/16th of an inch off it will puke fuel across(not out of) the boosters and it will accumulate on the butterlfys, therefore leaking out of between the baseplate and the carb body and throttle shafts.

Ive just cured this problem on my buick...good thing theyre easy to get to and adjust without removing the carburetor.

Check your float level very carefully...if in doubt...go low.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby starfire383 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Bad accelerator pumps will also make them puke a bunch of gas.

If the previous owner had the charcoal cannister rupture, you may also find a bunch of charcoal debris interfering with float movement. The largest line on the canister goes right to the float bowl and will transfer charcoal bits.
starfire383

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech