what carbs will fit my motor

Moderator: Moderators

what carbs will fit my motor

Postby monzacoupe » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi guys, thanks for all of the advice so far. I'm looking for some more. My carb is leaking onto the top of my motor so I'm thinking I need to rebuild or replace it. I've checked NAPA, PartSource, and an internet site call the carb doctor( looks good to a non-mechanical guy) but none of them can find a rebuild kit for my carb. This might have something to do with my carb having THREE different serial numbers on it, one on top, middle, and base! None of them show up in the books. How is this possible? How would I find out what new carbs will fit my engine(3.8l)? Will I need to change anything else besides the carb?

Any suggestions how to fix this are appreciated.

Thanks as always,

Rick

Pics coming soon
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Re: what carbs will fit my motor

Postby Sirshredalot » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:41 pm

Id try a different parts store...also...less of the correct info can be more.

If its a factory rochester carb than the number should start with a 1 or a 7....and about 8 to 10 digits long.

many carbs will bolt in place of your existing carb so long as you provide more info about your setup. 2bbl? 4bbl? stock? aftermarket? spreadbore? square bore?

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby monzacoupe » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:15 pm

Thanks! All of the serial numbers I have found fit the Rochester sequence but were not found by the parts store. If I go to the wrecker and find a decent looking carb on one of the cars would it be worth my while to get it and rebuild it?
How would I find out if my intake manifold is stock? I know very little of my car's history and have been tripped up in the past with my clutch and flywheel not being stock.

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby Sirshredalot » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:27 am

Is this a v8? v6? L4?

Pretty much an aftermarket intake is going to have the brand name on it like edelbrock, holly, offenhauser, etc.
Junk yard carburetors are a crap shoot....think about it...most vehicles in the junkyard are there because they wouldnt run or wouldnt run right. Carburetors are a big culprit.

Ive seen carburetors look brand new and even rebuilt them, but they either are warped or have an internal crack...so theyre useless.

What kind of carburetor do you have? I need some more information.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby monzacoupe » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:17 am

It`s a rochester dualjet 210. No other markings other than the three serial numbers I`ve found

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby monzacoupe » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:07 am

Hi again, I talked with a very helpful parts guy tonight, and he told me I was probably looking at the casting numbers of the carb, not the serial number( as I tell my wife and kids often, I'm not a smart man!). Tomorrow I'm looking again for the proper number.
Thanks Shredalot for your help thus far.
As always the guys in this forum are great.

P.S. I've finally added my car as an avatar and into the garage!
monzacoupe

Postby monza75tc » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:56 pm

Is your carb like trhis one, I purchased a rebuilt one off Ebay about a year ago. This carb is on a V6.

Dick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monza75tc

1975 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby monzacoupe » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:24 am

It looks very similar to mine, the one I have may have a few more emmision holes in the front but the top shape looks identical. I did find the proper serial number and have ordered a rebuild kit (picking it up today), while I was at the parts store I asked about an after market air cleaner for the car and was told that I would have a hard time finding one because of the shape of the top of the carb. Anyone know of an adaptor or supplier that would have something?

Rick
monzacoupe

Postby monza75tc » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:50 pm

I have been toying with the idea of taking a 14" chrome air cleaner and adapting it using the stock air cleaner bottom and the top of the chrome one. maybe cutting the chrome bottom to clear the drop on the stock bottom and centering the air filter then drill ant put in sheet metal screws then cut them off and put the 2 1/2" X 14" air filter.

Then again, the top off a Toyota (12"air cleaner) truck I think will fit the original air filter, and was thinking about an air scoop and building a ledge to seal the air box to the hood, maybe even a cowl type scoop. But haven't decided on how to configure it yet.

Dick
monza75tc

1975 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech