Monojet power piston trouble

Moderator: Moderators

Monojet power piston trouble

Postby Rickey » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:46 pm

I have been out for awhile, but wanted to pass on some info that might be of use. I was browsing old post and saw a question from back in Aug that rang a bell.

I rebuilt the original monojet on my '73 last year. I used the carb number to order a kit (GP) and noticed that there was a Vega specific part shown as an option that non Vega carbs would not use. The power piston/metering rod assembly was replaced by a needle (power valve) that was vacuum controled but did not use a metering rod at all. I noticed that this part was not shown on the Aug post.

*** Also, the carb worked great for awhile then became hard to cold start. A few months later- it started to cut out once in awhile as if starved for gas. What I found was that the float needle and seat assembly included in the kit was too heavy for the stock fuel pump pressure to overcome. The float valve (needle) in the kit would not take a clip holding it onto the float arm when it dropped. Sooo every now and then the float valve would not let the bowl refill. Sometime the level would be too low to pick up a pump shot. This caused the hardstarting I first ran into. I put the original float valve needle back in and have had no more trouble. The original needle was scalloped to be lighter, and used a clip to hold it to the float arm. The kit part was just a heavy square block like the one out of a Q-jet kit.
Rickey

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech