these AN fittings are insane!!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: these AN fittings are insane!!

Postby chevy art » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:31 pm

rick i didnt realize it was a cell with the fuel drawn from the top(think thats how you just explained it. if so, can you just change the fitting coming out of the cell, or is it a fitting with a tube attached to reach the bottom of the cell. with a good pump like you have i wouldnt get all bent out of shape at using a # 8 line out of there. you are onlly pumping a reasonable amount of fuel out of the cell and the pump will handle it. you will not be short of fuel no matter how fast you go. you start using all kinds of adaptor fittings and you will probably be restricting the flow and causing a cash flow out of your pocket to buy more fittings. art
chevy art

Postby rtm » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:46 pm

hey art, thanx 4 reply, I think I got a handle on this fuel line stuff.
gotta get organized, and make a pictorial for other guys who want a fuel cell w/o cutting a sump in the floor.
maybe I'll take some pics right now.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
Thomas Jefferson, (Attributed)
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
rtm

1976 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby rtm » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:12 pm

pics of cell and fuel line (in box)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
rtm

Postby chevy art » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:02 pm

rick nice cell. what is the jegs(?) part # for that. also, does it have the tabs on the corners for bolting it down. if my vega tank is good i will custom make a single outlet #10 sump for it and go from there. if it is not good i will put a cell in my trunk(notchback 75 vega) . keep the pics coming in when the system is complete. thanks art
chevy art

Postby rtm » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:35 am

hey art, I got the cell from fee-bay based on the rough dimensions I needed to make a 15 gal cell fit.

RCI Aluminum Fuel Cell 2172A

got kinda pricey online since I bought mine.
I think I paid around $200.00 for mine (had a slight blemish)

jegs;

Item# 821-2172A
Ships in 6 days
Only $243.99
rtm

Postby ColinOpseth » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:46 am

meangreen73vega wrote:Check Summit Racing, they have kits that include everything and are cheaper then building your own...hope this helps!

True, but I've run across guys that complain that the Summit fittings strip easy and don't always have a positive seal. I ran 3/8" aluminum from my tank and am putting compression fittings on the ends. Russell says they're good up to 60psi. My system runs at about 45. Here's a link to an article using the same setup: http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/tec ... to_07.html

My system will be MPFI LT1 @ 42psi / 55gph.
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby rtm » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:19 am

WOW,
great post Colin !!
I immediately added that link to my favorites, as I'm sure I'll be referencing it throughout my fuel line project.
looks like I need some compression fittings.
should make short work of my install.
rtm

Postby res0o7eb » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:07 pm

This is a good thread that turned out to be more than just AN fittings, but about fuel hoses, too.
Ishiftem wrote:
chevy art wrote:just resd an article in one of the mags and they warned about buying the cheap offshore fuel lines and fittings.. the insides of the braided lines rot pretty quickly and the fittings are cheaply made and the centers dont line up well and they leak pretty quickly. i always buy a brand like russell or aeroquip. costs more and hopefully lasts longer. art

It's not just the cheap stuff. I would not use ANY of the rubber lines for fuel whether they are from earl's,aero quip, russels or any body else. Teflon only. Period. Pump gas will deteriorate the fore mentioned hoses. Not if, but will. I was glad to see that article you mention. We went round and round with earls about ten years ago because the gas vapors were coming through their braided rubber line. They said the hose was fine. Finely after talking with the earl's indy service shop and a engineer from earls did it come out that they had not improved their line for twenty years and had no idea what current additives would do to it. They also conceded it should NOT be used with ANY pump gas without frequent inspection AND replacement.
The latest article on this subject is in the Jan. 2011 Hot Rod, pages 86-91. It is written by Marlan Davis. It is a must read before you spend any money on fuel lines - braided or otherwise. The article corroborates (sorry, couldn't think of a simpler word) Ishiftem's and chevyart's comments above.
The Hot Rod suggests the use of high-tech PTFE (a.k.a. Teflon which is a DuPont trademark) or budget SAE J30R9 (or the newer J30R12) hose for your fuel line project. Apparently, most new cars use Teflon hoses.
There are several newer companies selling these better-quality fuel hoses. Brown and Miller (mentioned by Ishiftem), OrmeBrothers, TechAFX, Bonaco and XRP.
The more familiar Earl's, Aeroquip, and Russell may sell this stuff now - I didn't check, but I assume they do now.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Previous

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech