these AN fittings are insane!!

Moderator: Moderators

these AN fittings are insane!!

Postby rtm » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:48 pm

trying to run an INEXPENSIVE fuel line system from my cell to my carb and back.
just spent an hour on the phone w/ a guy from jegs,
I already have my fuel cell ,pump, and regulator (and a 100 micron prefilter )
all I need is fittings to run 1/2" aluminum hard line w/flexible stuff between tank/ components.
and I need another filter before the regulator.
anyone have inexpensive ideas?
this guy had me @ $350.00 for just a feed line. :bang:
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
Thomas Jefferson, (Attributed)
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
rtm

1976 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Re: these AN fittings are insane!!

Postby Stonebird » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:49 pm

Yes, I looked at them for a fuel injected street rod project. I just went with steel line. Bulged the ends with the first step of my double flare tool. Regular fuel injection hose and clamps. NAPA looked up a 3/8" filter for me. Pretty much like some Chrysler systems i've seen. Don't know about race applications, but it looks like it will work for me.
Stonebird

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby meangreen73vega » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:48 pm

Check Summit Racing, they have kits that include everything and are cheaper then building your own...hope this helps!
Drive, break, repair...repeat!

72 Vega, 350 ZZ4, patriot heads, air gap intake, 750 dbl pump...power glide...
meangreen73vega

1973 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby rtm » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:25 pm

alrighty kids, I've ordered parts from summit AND jegs for this phase of my build, I'll try to document part #s and prices here.
maybe I can save someone else some economic stress by posting what I end up with, and what it costs.
there are too many ways to put a fuel system together for it to be a true guideline, but hopefully my mistakes/successes will help others.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
rtm

Postby spencerforhire » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:17 am

I agree this AN stuff is way more expensive than I expected it to be; a couple of months ago I bought everything to build the fuel system for my race car and it was in the $550-600 range. That included a Holley "blue" pump and all the line(1/2" aluminum and -8 braided), filter, all the fittings & adapters and a dual feed line for the Holley with built in gauge. I tried to economize as best I could by choosing the Jeg's "house brand" instead of a name brand(Aeroquip, etc.) but it still cost about double what I was expecting. OUCH.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby rtm » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:16 am

the main problem w/ the "store brand package kits", although they're relatively inexspensive, is that they kind of limit what you can expect/ achieve
both summit and jegs offer them ,and claim they suport up to 500 or 600 HP
however I found the line sizes (dia) to be rather smallish on one, and the other didn't include a regulator. (I thinkit stated in the description that it wasn't needed because the pump pressure was preset.)
any of the "better" systems I've seen on cars like the one I'm trying to build, utilized a good,name brand pump/regulator.
maybe I'm niave for not trusting the generic packages, but with all the money I have spent on my engine already, I'd hate to cause something stupid (like a lean fuel condition) to ruin it.
I guess I should expect to pay for "quality", however , I know for a fact that these AN fittings are all made offshore somewhere, and the materials they contain are far from "rare"
maybe I should quit bitching, and start a manufacturing facility of my own, after all ,it is the american way :th:

RICK'S -AN DEPOT :lol: :lol:
rtm

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 am

Not sure if this is even the right stuff....

http://www.mcmaster.com/#an/as-tube-fittings/=9tud5s

""Also known as AN fittings, these fittings are made to exact AS (formerly AN)
specifications. Not only are these fittings manufactured to tighter tolerances than
other 37° flared fittings, the nut/tube ends have 3A and 3B threads, which adhere
to higher tolerances than all other nut/tube end threads. They meet ASTM A380 and
SAE AS4841. Fittings are made of forged or bar stock Type 304 stainless steel and are
furnished as a body only; nuts and sleeves are sold separately. Use with water, air, oil,
and hydraulic fluid. Not rated for sterilization or vacuum. Pipe connections are ANPT,
which are compatible with NPT. Nut/tube ends have UNJF straight screw threads.""

""Maximum
Pressure @ 72° F:
3000 psi
• Temperature Range:
–325° to +1200° F
• Tubing: Use with
stainless steel""
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby spencerforhire » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:13 pm

To clarify, I didn't buy a "package" from Jeg's; I designed the system from scratch, right down to each fitting and end and only ordered the pieces I knew I'd need. The only thing I'm going to have left over is about 10ft of the 1/2" aluminum line, and that will no doubt end up on my brother's car. i stuck to the "Jeg's" branded stuff so it would all be the same, but it only saved 10-15% off the price of the equivalent Aeroquip parts.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby v8astregt » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:56 pm

When I did my fittings way back when, and I got a refresher last week when I changed my lines to go to a double pumper, I remembered that I used both Aeroquip and XRP. The XRP fitting took like 45 minutes, cussing, and a few pierced fingers to get a good fitting. Meanwhile, a comparable Aeroquip fitting took me 5 minutes, and was pain free.

So as far as fittings go, I will always pay top dollar for these. There is a difference, at least in my opinion.

I'll get to revisit all this again soon. I want to go from my single 3/8 line, to a 1/2" supply line, with a return regulator, and return line, plus a sump added to my tank.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby Sirshredalot » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:32 pm

Two words guys....PUSH LOCK!

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby rtm » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:51 pm

spencerforhire wrote:To clarify, I didn't buy a "package" from Jeg's; I designed the system from scratch, right down to each fitting and end and only ordered the pieces I knew I'd need. The only thing I'm going to have left over is about 10ft of the 1/2" aluminum line, and that will no doubt end up on my brother's car. i stuck to the "Jeg's" branded stuff so it would all be the same, but it only saved 10-15% off the price of the equivalent Aeroquip parts.

my "package" post was in response to meangreens post :oops:
although I am very interested in what you have spence.
shred, are the push locks NHRA legal?
rtm

Postby rtm » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:16 pm

marco_1978_spyder wrote:Not sure if this is even the right stuff....

http://www.mcmaster.com/#an/as-tube-fittings/=9tud5s

""Also known as AN fittings, these fittings are made to exact AS (formerly AN)
specifications. Not only are these fittings manufactured to tighter tolerances than
other 37° flared fittings, the nut/tube ends have 3A and 3B threads, which adhere
to higher tolerances than all other nut/tube end threads. They meet ASTM A380 and
SAE AS4841. Fittings are made of forged or bar stock Type 304 stainless steel and are
furnished as a body only; nuts and sleeves are sold separately. Use with water, air, oil,
and hydraulic fluid. Not rated for sterilization or vacuum. Pipe connections are ANPT,
which are compatible with NPT. Nut/tube ends have UNJF straight screw threads.""

""Maximum
Pressure @ 72° F:
3000 psi
• Temperature Range:
–325° to +1200° F
• Tubing: Use with
stainless steel""

AN fittings are indeed 37 degree fittings,
however,from what I can see on this site all the "bends" are the restrictive type you would find in traditional brass NPT fittings.
everything I have researched to date recommends avoiding these types of restrictive fittings,
the straight ones may be fine though.
Agian, I'm only going by what I've read,or heard, from other sources.
rtm

Postby Sirshredalot » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:28 pm

As far as i know, Push-lok hose is NHRA legal....The rule book says less than 6" rubber/flexible line....dunno what that includes...but Ive seen it run on 10 sec LS cars and they passed tech.

Its good to 200psi and 300 degrees if you get the good stuff. and its less $$$ than braided...and less painful(electrical tape and a cut-off wheel is your friend).
Just be carefule....alot of the stuff on the market is NOT compatible with FUEL....The AEROQUIP and RUSSELL are good.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby chevy art » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:01 am

just resd an article in one of the mags and they warned about buying the cheap offshore fuel lines and fittings.. the insides of the braided lines rot pretty quickly and the fittings are cheaply made and the centers dont line up well and they leak pretty quickly. i always buy a brand like russell or aeroquip. costs more and hopefully lasts longer. art
chevy art

Postby meangreen73vega » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:38 am

Ya it's a bit more than I remember...I just dug out my reciept for my fuel system...$1400.00 but that's complete from a 5gallon tank, Mallory fuel pump with regulator, Mallory filter, 16 feet of push lock hose, and all the fittings including a carb kit dual inlet....oh almost forgot........... got a NOS sniper 100-150HP with it :th:
Drive, break, repair...repeat!

72 Vega, 350 ZZ4, patriot heads, air gap intake, 750 dbl pump...power glide...
meangreen73vega

1973 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Next

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech