Running a Mechanical Fuel pump

Moderator: Moderators

Running a Mechanical Fuel pump

Postby BadBowtie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Bear with me a bit because this might turn out to be an extensive post :lol:

I will be installing the motor [350sbc] in my 75' Vega GT for the last time within the next few weeks and was wondering if I needed to re-do the fuel lines/remove the electric pump and extend the lines in the tank. After reading the Fuel section On V8Monza.org (and searching the forum) [http://v8monza.com/faq-perf.htm#FuelSystem] I found this :

Aftermarket Fuel Pumps
If you do plan on higher RPMs, or a bigger carburetor, I would suggest an aftermarket elec. pump like a Holley with a pressure regulator. When using an aftermarket fuel pump, the factory pump must be removed from the fuel tank or it will restrict the fuel flow and defeat the purpose of the new one. Once removed, you'll need to extend the length of the pickup in the tank since removal of the pump shortened it. Don't forget to reinstall the filter sock on the end to prevent unwanted trash from entering the fuel line. I even added a Carter Z/28 mechanical pump for added measure. Adding the mechanical pump required notching the front of the right K-brace (the V8 car brace going from under the front of the oil pan to the front right sway bar bushing mount location).

Here are my points:
-He states he is running an electric pump and mechanical pump ? How does that work out? (should I remove my stock one?)
-My lines appear to be 3/8" fuel line, but its factory and I'm not sure if that's possible.
-My motor is a mild 350, 30 over, approximately 360hp and 400ft-lbs with a Edelbrock 650. My dad ran the same fuel pump on the car in his 72' Z28 with no hesitation or problems.

So should I drop the tank and extend the tubes?
Should I just leave the in tank fuel pump connected and powered?
Is it possible I have 3/8" fuel line?
And Finally
Would I just have to cap my "return" fuel line and connect the mechanical one?

Any information or thoughts are appreciated
Thanks
James
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Re: Running a Mechanical Fuel pump

Postby Kenova » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:57 am

I know someone who swapped a 350 into a Vega GT in the early '70s. To retain the GT gauges all of the senders were swapped over to the V8. It was a couple of years later when he went to sell the Vega's four cylinder that he realized there was no fuel pump on the engine. He drove the car with a functioning electric pump in the tank plus the mechanical pump on the 350. He never had any fuel delivery problems and ran it that way for a decade or two before he tubbed the car and went to a fuel cell.
The H-body pumps are designed for carburetor use so you don't have to worry about the fuel pressure being too high. If a functioning electric pump is left in the tank it will merely act as a booster pump. The mechanical pump will increases the pressure some, but it may not be high enough to cause any problems. Stick a pressure gauge on it just to be safe.
If you are running an after market electric pump the in-tank pump shouldn't be a restriction as long as it is working properly. Again, it will act as a booster pump and the internal fuel pressure regulator in the after market pump will keep pressures in line.
If the in-tank pump isn't working properly then I'm sure it would be a restriction.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Re: Running a Mechanical Fuel pump

Postby BadBowtie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:34 am

Thanks for the reply Ken, this sounds perfect for me as all I will do is cap the return line to the gas tank and hook the mechanical pump up (keeping the electric one wired). :mrgreen:
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech