Cosworth engine with a carb?

Moderator: Moderators

Cosworth engine with a carb?

Postby Andy 12 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:31 pm

We are running a 76 Vega with a cosworth engine on a pavement circle track and modified a stock intake to fit a Holley 4412 2 bbl. It has a high speed miss and it seems that the EFI intake looks very different compared to typical carb intakes. Could our problem be the intake itself? We jetted up to 99's after starting at 82's.

Does anyone on here know of anyone who has worked with a carb on a cosworth engine? Our rules will not allow for webber side drafts. One single carburator only. Thanks for any input. A final option is to go to stock fuel injection but would like to see if this could work first.
Andy 12

Re: Cosworth engine with a carb?

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Andy,
Can you send a couple pictures to get an idea of the intake. The original EFI design used a central throttle body. It did not complete the full 50K EPA test, one of two engines failed at 48K miles due to a couple of burnt valves. The major reason for the failure was the very lean fuel settings trying to pass the test without a cat but I believe the central throttle body was part of the problem. The redesign was a spread bore throttle body with two butterflies. What I'm getting at is possibly your central carb with the stock intake might not be getting an equal flow to each cylinder. Not knowing how you modified the stock intake, would it be possible to have your carb set up to feed through the spread bore openings thereby getting a more equal flow to each cylinder? I have a cobbled up intake that uses two separate downdraft carbs. It came with a spare engine from one of my Cosworth purchases about six years ago. I never used it but the fabricator did and said it worked well.
Where are you racing it, a very unusual engine choice. There must be an interesting story behind this project. Pictures of the car would be great also. I'll try and get a shot of the intake I have, maybe it will give you some ideas even though you couldn't use its design.
Dick
Last edited by hammerdown7 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:23 pm

Here's a couple:

P1000457.JPG

P1000458.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby Andy 12 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks for the input. Yes, unusual, I'll get some pics this weekend.
Andy 12

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech