benifits of two barrel over one

Moderator: Moderators

benifits of two barrel over one

Postby ck1971 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:20 am

All original, one barrell carb, 3-speed, 90 miles a day round trip daily driver.

What are the pros/cons of changing to a two barrell carb?

Would I benefit to swap for a 4-speed?

:rolleyes:
Charlie
The older I get, the more I like older cars.....
ck1971

Re: benifits of two barrel over one

Postby gerbsinmd » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:04 am

With both changes will most likely make the car a little spunkier. Neither should hurt the mileage if you can keep your foot out of the new power..
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:34 am

ck1971 wrote:All original, one barrell carb, 3-speed, 90 miles a day round trip daily driver.

What are the pros/cons of changing to a two barrell carb?

Pro's, a little more fun at higher rpm's...slightly better performance than stock 1bbl.. Con's possibly messing up a motor running nice and reliably with matched components..

Would I benefit to swap for a 4-speed?

Depends what the benefit you seek is.. I'd think increased highway mileage could be a possible benefit. How much heavier the 4speed is might factor in.

1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby monzabug350 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:54 pm

What brand 2bbl? Will you need a manifold to match? How about a Muncie 4spd?Is it lighter than a Sag? You would probably have to play with the timing a bit but Im sure you will like the upgrade and mpg.
monzabug350

1979 Chevrolet Monza

Postby ck1971 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:31 pm

monzabug350 wrote:What brand 2bbl? Will you need a manifold to match? How about a Muncie 4spd?Is it lighter than a Sag? You would probably have to play with the timing a bit but Im sure you will like the upgrade and mpg.

Carb:
In the back of my mind I was thinking the the intake manifolds would be the same with a 2bbl base plate. I'm not familiar with this setup.
Tranny:
That brings up another question; will a 4 spd Saginaw bolt right up and can you use the same driveshaft? :rolleyes:

Bottom line is that I'm looking for an extremely simple/quick swap with decent performance improvement. The one-barrell 3-spd will get there but wow it's a snail to get rolling.

Just not quite ready for a big conversion project at this time. :)
Charlie
ck1971

Postby davestewart38 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:08 pm

If you have an Opel 3 speed, which the 71-72 cars had originally you would have to change the flywheel,pressure plate,clutch disc,and bellhousing to swap in a Saginaw 4 speed.The driveshaft would have to be shortened.I am not sure if you can use your existing driveshaft yoke,throwout bearing,and clutch fork.It has been a long time since I saw a Vega with an Opel 3 speed.But someone on here will probably know.It might be cheaper to swap an Opel 4 speed into your car if you only want another gear.I think that if you could find a Vega Opel 4 speed with shifter it would be a direct swap into your car.The Opel 4 speed like the Opel 3 speed transmission is not nearly as strong as a Saginaw transmission,but if you are not experiencing durability issues with the 3 speed this might be the way to go.The 4 speed Opel transmissions are available from time to time on Ebay for little cost.To change your car to a 2 barrel carb you will need an intake with gaskets,linkage(Holley),and a proper air cleaner.Some cars used the Rochester 2GV and some used the Holley 5210.The intakes for these 2 carburetors are different.I have more experience with the Holley 5210.They are wonderful,tunable little carbs.New and rebuilt Holley 5210's are also available on Ebay for little cost.
davestewart38

Postby ck1971 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks for the detail Dave. :th:
Charlie
ck1971

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech