holly 5210C won't do anything but idle

Moderator: Moderators

Re: holly 5210C won't do anything but idle

Postby chadiusmax » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks to marco and dave.

Woke up in the middle of the night to figure out that the vacuum hose seen in the picture lower left is connected to a vent for the fuel bowl. I will be replacing the hoses and checking the canister to see that it is operating properly, after I clean the fuel bowl, jets and discharge nozzle AGAIN. I will post whether it fixes or not. Snowing outside today though so may have to wait until tomorrow.

THANKS SO MUCH.
chadiusmax

Postby chadiusmax » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:04 pm

everything is better now. Disconnected the charcoal canister and the engine now runs with out stalling, but a friend of mine said it sounds like its loping. What is loping and what do I have to do to fix it?
chadiusmax

Postby 73Vegaguy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:50 pm

Loping is when the idle speeds up and slows down instead of maintaining a steady speed. Adjusting the mixture screw(s) may correct it. If the car will idle at the specified rpm try adusting for maximum steady vacuum (if you have a vacuum guage) or highest steady rpm (by ear or using a tach). Reduce idle speed to specified rpm if necessary after adiusting the mixture.
73Vegaguy

Postby chadiusmax » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:08 pm

gave up and bought a remanufactured carb from Texas - AAAA Automotive on eBay for $75. Wroks like a charm. Just a little tweeking needed to fix the air/fuel mixture and I am flying down the road. Thank to all for your advice. It was appreciated.
chadiusmax

Postby monzabug350 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:55 pm

Roger that on the charcol canaster,saw a lot of that in the 70s and early80s. The crud is drawn in through the vac line from the canister to the carb,pull the hose and blow air through it and see if anything comes out,if so put a new canister on and blow out all pasages with air before you put it back togather.
monzabug350

1979 Chevrolet Monza

Previous

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech