holly 5210C won't do anything but idle

Moderator: Moderators

holly 5210C won't do anything but idle

Postby chadiusmax » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry to be a pain, but my 1977 Astre (2.3L) won't accept any pedal. As soon as I give it some gas the engine stalls (floods). I took the air cleaner off and was able to rev the engine if I held the butterfly valves closed. Any suggestions would be awesome. I priced out a replacement for the carb and they want $300 and change. Is it something I can fix with out rebuilding the carb - I tried that on my old S10 and ended up selling the truck because I messed it up so bad.

Thanks
chadiusmax

Re: holly 5210C won't do anything but idle

Postby sirrick4 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:04 pm

which butterfly's are you holding closed? You shouldn't be able to rev your engine if you're holding the throttle butterflys shut. Are you sure you're not holding the choke closed? If you are thenwhat colour (if any) is the smoke coming from the exhaust?
Rick ......1975 Monza 2+2
sirrick4

Postby Stevie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:10 pm

I dont understand, how you rev the engine exactly.. please explain this a little more detailed.
The small holley is a quiet simple and easy to maintain carb. I dont know why you just found a new carb for $300.... i bought a new one for my vega 2 years ago over ebay for $70... there should be still many of these offers around...
If you look from the top into the carb and push the accelerator pump lever (or just use the throttle cable): do you see the fuel spayed inside the venturi channel by the little auxiliary pipe ?

Steffen
'75 Vega hatchback, bright yellow, mostly stock- except of 14'' Minilite wheels on 205/60 R 14, Grant steering wheel and some minor changes...
Stevie

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby chadiusmax » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. @sirrick yes I was holding the choke closed, no smoke. @stevie, I ended up not buying a carb at all.

I waited for an hour after I got home (from a 3 hour - 60 mile ride idling along down the highway in the shoulder) and then started it again. It sputtered and I took a chance and feathered the gas trying to floor it. The car almost died and with a couple of sharp bangs the engine roared to life and it working fine.

I have no idea what the problem was plugged line, vapour lock, gummed up carb, but it is fixed as far as I can tell.

Have a great day. :lol:
chadiusmax

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:08 pm

By holding the choke closed you are essentially richening the mixture. So, you obviously have a very lean condition. This can be caused by not enough fuel from the carb or you have a massive vacuum leak somewhere. So, check the easy things first and make sure you do not have any vacuum leaks. Disconnected hoses, cracked hoses, an open port etc. Otherwise you could have a carb that is just dirty and may have some plugged passages not allowing enough fuel to pass or possibly a faulty accelerator pump. It wouldn't hurt to check your ignition timing too as that is a easy thing.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Stevie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:59 pm

ok.. now i understand your problem and what you have done so far.
I maybe got a help for you (as my vega got the similar symptome last year): Check the build-in fuel filter (installed right where the fuel line fits inside the carb). The filter my be clogged or the internal valve may be stuck. The not enough fuel is pumped to the carb bowl and the engine just runs at idle.
I have taken out the filter unit (unfortunately- here in Germany no one could sell me the filter) and installed an additional filter in the fuel line. No more problems then...

BTW: does someone here have a new filter for the 5210 for me and could send it to Germany ?? :?:

Steffen
'75 Vega hatchback, bright yellow, mostly stock- except of 14'' Minilite wheels on 205/60 R 14, Grant steering wheel and some minor changes...
Stevie

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby chadiusmax » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:44 am

@ stevie - Will do and thanks again
chadiusmax

Postby chadiusmax » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:52 pm

I took the accelerator pump apart and checked oout the diaphragm and it was ok the pump actuates but no fuel goes into the carb. I am going to replace the fuel filter tomorrow, and then add some gas tratement carb cleaner to my tank (I really do not want to do a rebuild). Any thoughts?
chadiusmax

Postby chadiusmax » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:02 pm

replaced the fuel filter and still no performance improvement. So the next step is to do a carb cleaning. Ordered the kit off ebay and now just to wait. No one in Edmonton has a kit - crazy.
chadiusmax

Postby chadiusmax » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:53 pm

So I got a carb kit (courtesy Chicago Carburetor and eBay) and took the dive into a cleaning and potential rebuild. When I took the carb apart there was all these black flecks in the bottom of the fuel bowl.
first look at the black crud.jpg

Any idea what thes coould be from? I had previously replaced the fuel filter and it is clean so they are not coming from there. After I cleaned it out
clean in between.jpg

and put it back together the car ran a bit rough and wouldn't keep running. So I took it apart again and found more black flecks.
secondlook.jpg

What are these black flecks and where do they come from. Cant be the fuel line because the filter would stop them. Any advice please would be great.

Chad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chadiusmax

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:33 pm

Is the filter right in the carb? If it is then possibly the crud is gasket material from the carb. A good flush and rebuild every few years can work wonders.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:09 pm

Any other rubber lines aft of the filter? Ethanol could be deteriorating that..
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby chadiusmax » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:09 pm

cjbiagi wrote: Is the filter right in the carb? Yes just to the left you can see the fuel line. The filter is right there in the top of the carb. I checked the filter and it was clean and whole. When I took off the top of the carb the gasket was intact with no wear.

marco_1978_spyder wrote: Any other rubber lines aft of the filter? There are no other rubber lines. Is there a way for me to clean all of the rubber vacuum hoses?
chadiusmax

Postby sirrick4 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:11 am

Hmm. If it's not gaskets or internal parts then that junk has to be getting in with the fuel and blocking your jets. I'm not sure how the fuel filter works with those carbs but is it an internal filter? Is it seating properly? One way to find out is to install an in-line fuel filter. That way you'll know for sure where that crap is coming from. Good luck
Rick ......1975 Monza 2+2
sirrick4

Postby davestewart38 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:31 am

The black flecks are probably from the charcoal cannister if you are running one.
davestewart38

Next

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech