LS Fuel systems

Moderator: Moderators

Re: LS Fuel systems

Postby monzaaddict » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:20 am

how tall is your fuel tank 1) where the original pump mounts 2) where that dome is minus the dome.

The impala pump shown uses the same gasket and lock ring as a 2010 camaro. The filter is internal - no need for a second filter. The regulator has that little port on it so it is 58psi. it is the same regulator that is used on early ls engines etc. the port is for manifold referenced fuel pressure. They used the same regulator on the 99-02 ls fuel pump without the vacuum signal and they modified the tune to increase/decrease injector pulse width in conjunction with the manifold vacuum sensor reading. These are all non pwm pumps. The regulator is on the pressure side so there is only one fuel line - the return is internal.

If you are running a vented gas tank you can eliminate that green thing which is for the evap system.

later pumps use pwm and a fuel pressure sensor to regulate fuel pressure. they also have a regulator set at 80 psi so that when the engine is shut off and the pump continues to spin the lines etc. aren't damaged.
monzaaddict

Postby TimMcCabe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:41 pm

I ran a stock 3.8 V6 TPI pump for years in my '72 before I changed the pick up design. I made a small tray that fit in the bottom of the tank to keep fuel at the pump during cornering and just attached the pump to the stock Vega pick up. I put the return line into the vapour port at the top of the tank and the return line went down into a slot on the tray to hold it in place. I am currently running a system much closer to the new canister style.. I made a metal can that fits down the center vapour hole in the tank and I have a Suzuki Hayabusa fuel pump (half the size of the GM TPI pump and it will do about 255 LPH at 90PSI, massive overkill, but it was free and it fit :D ). I have a small jet pump from a Ford that syphons fuel into the reservoir. If you don't mind modifying the tank, I'd grab a canister style pump as well as the tank flange that goes with it and cut the hole bigger in the top of the Vega tank and have the cansister flange welded (soldered) on..

Cheers,
Tim
1972 TPI Vega T56 6 speed

Contact me for all of your Tachometer needs
TimMcCabe

Postby cosvega76 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:38 am

I saw this in the new Summit catalog. It's from Aeromotive, so it's pricy, but it looks like it's what you could use:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-18688

They say it will fit tanks as shallow as 6 inches.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby grandam75 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:56 pm

I used the f-body 98-02 fuel pump with bucket. Cut it down as much as possible and had a spacer ring made that raised it about 20mm. I had to modify the trunk floor to make it fit. Kept the factory vega fuel level sender, just bent the arm into another shape to clear the new fuel pump.
Martin from Sweden..
1971 Vega hatchback

1975 Pontiac Grand Am
1971 Pontiac Lemans Convt
1965 Buick Wildcat Convt
1972 Pontiac Firebird
1993 BMW 740i
grandam75

Previous

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech