LS Fuel systems

Moderator: Moderators

LS Fuel systems

Postby 1100kaw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:49 pm

OK
I'm at a loss.
I need an affordable way to do fuel system on my LS Fuel injected project. I bought a Walbro external pump and the Vette Regulator.
I cant find a good place to mount that shit. I was planning on using stock tank and
will prob. run single transverse mount muffler, sooo. anywhere near tank puts it in a heat zone or tailpipe/suspension zone.
Further forward puts it hanging too low under car.
I'm thinking on a plan change.
Is there an in-expensive In tank set up that will go in stock tank?
Does anyone make a set up that comes with weld in flang, then their unit drops in?
Ideas????
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Re: LS Fuel systems

Postby speedphreake » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:33 am

here is what I am considering. its a universal in tank set up that you put in your stock tank. runs about $550

http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-page/ ... el-system/
71 Vega hb
11 2500HD duramax
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby BadBowtie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:23 am

James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:47 pm

In my Cosworth, I used a pump from a Fiero/V6 Camaro and modified the pickup to accept the longer pump. Naturally, it was a 4-cylinder, but it worked fine. I would think that the V8 Camaro pump would be the same length.

If you like, I can copy and post the article I wrote for the Cosworth Vega Magazine to show you the particulars.

By the way, the Cosworth is supposed to have a baffle box to surround the pump to keep it from starving when the tank is low. To my surprise, I found that someone had replaced the tank in my Cosworth with a regular Vega tank. I never experienced any trouble, but never tried to run the thing out of fuel, either.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby monzaaddict » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:52 pm

Is there an in-expensive In tank set up that will go in stock tank? - not that I am aware of.

Does anyone make a set up that comes with weld in flange, then their unit drops in? - yes
http://www.retrofuel.com/4.html
http://vaporworx.com/

Ideas????
do something similar to this. I think the vega tank is not as deep as the monza tank so the 99-02 f body pump may not work. compressed the 99-02 f body pump is 9.5 inches tall. I would look at doing something similar but use a 5th gen f body, cts-v, gto, or ssr,pump

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25544
monzaaddict

Postby 1100kaw » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:26 pm

Wow
Man, I really appreciate this info.
At first glance i am liking the retro fuel set up.
Might even be something i can afford.
I need to drag the Vega tank out and do some measuring.
I need a sending unit as well, so the retofuel deal offers everything i need, in a neat package.

Any more ideas welcome, I'm sucking up the input for now.

Anyone need a brand new inline 255 walbro pump, and Vette style filter regulator?
lol
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Postby monzaaddict » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:54 pm

if you don't mind taking out the spare tire well you can use a 68 nova tank like nick did.
then you would at least have a decent driving range. The retro fuel kit would then be a direct fit
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19422&start=180

vette works also sells mounting rings for the 2010 camaro cts-v g8 fuel modules and kits

http://www.vetteworksonline.net/catalog ... ilter_id=9

ebay has used fuel pump modules

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=fu ... p&_sacat=0
monzaaddict

Postby 1100kaw » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:35 pm

after some research i like the idea of using a stock style pump in my tank. The rings they make to do this install look easy enough to make, so thats cheap.
My question is now,
Am i safe to assume that nearly all stock V8, (and possibly smaller engines) Fuel injection systems require roughly the same pressures?
50psi or so?
Or is there a way to find whick vehicles have the pressures i need for the LS?
If i can find this info, I can do some searching and find an O.E. part that may work with tank depth and size i have.
I hate to back track on the project and start cutting up the trunk floor and fabricating hangers etc.... to go with different tank.
The small vega tank with a 20+mpg drivetrain is still plenty of travel.
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Postby waybad » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:01 pm

search here for all your needs
http://ls1tech.com/forums/index.php
Tinker
waybad

Postby vegastre » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:59 pm

Is there an in-expensive In tank set up that will go in stock tank?

I did some research on fuel pumps to handle my 3800SC swap. Researching a high pressure pump for a intank pump matched to our stock style pump. In other words just replace the pump. I came up with a pump out of a 95 S-10 blazer at around $40 bucks, $70 at AutoZone. AirTex # e3270. I was and still am a bit suspicious about this handling my motor but I found this tid bit.

Here is a little fuel pump tech…..

Just a little background. I’m installing a 2004 5.3 in a 9 GMC Sierra. When the fuel pump question came up I read that you needed to use a Delco EP241. To double check this I called S&P and they said also to use a EP241. Just for giggles ( after I installed the EP241 in the tank and truck ), I checked the specs on these pumps. Now what I got were specs from Airtex book where I work at Carquest.

EP241 ( E3210 Airtex) = Flow= 40 gph & PSI = 65-75
Now that pressure reading is right on the head of the pump at the lab and if you take into account filters and lines and lengths, it’ll probably equate to 50-55 psi… should be.

I wasn’t to impressed with those # and did some checking. I went up in years and found the EP381 pump used in the early vortec trucks, cyclones, ect….and here are it’s #’s

EP381 (E3270 Airtex)
= Flow = 50-60 GPH & PSI = 80-90
Here again that psi rating is under perfect conditions at the lab and on the head of the pump. It should yield you a 70-80psi in the vehicle.

I called Airtex and talked to their guy Craig there. He confirmed these numbers I have here and inquired what I was working on. I told him and he said.. quote “ you should never use a EP241 on a vortec or LS1 motor” Craig went on to explain that it would work but the pump would be working itself to death to maintain the pressure and that would shorten the lifespan dramatically. He also explained that the EP381’s were manufactured with a new thin magnet design which yielded a lot higher torque that the EP241’s. They were specifically designed to work on Vortec & LS1 style engines. Also he said the current draw on the EP380 would be significantly less than the EP241, less current = less heat=longer life.
The EP241 is designed to work with TPI & MPI and should only be used in this application

I had my pump out fixing a split hose anyway so I went ahead and got the EP381, well our Airtex E3270.

Just wanted to pass along this little tid-bit of information. I know you guys with newer trucks already have high flow high pressure pumps in the tanks from the factory. But maybe this will help others with their modifications.

So....help me out here. As I read it for simplicity and cost this is the way to go for our stock mod application.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby 1100kaw » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:12 pm

I hope i do the link right. here is some good info i found.
I'm still trying to decide which route to go on my LS project.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/show ... p?t=457134
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Postby 1100kaw » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Phil
After some quick research i'm liking your EP381 pump idea for my LS too.
I need to find some pics and dimesions to see if i can get it in tank mounted to a stock style sender? Or do you know it will fit already?
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Postby 1100kaw » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Looks like it will to me.
Pic just so we can all see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Postby monzaaddict » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:29 pm

it likely will work but you will need the tank to be half full continuously. You don't want the pickup to become uncovered at wide open throttle. there is a reason the factory ditched the pump on a stick design and replaced it with the pump in a self filling bucket design.You will need a filter, regulator, and return.

The 2010 camaro pumps I see on ebay for like $79. the filter is internal. You can get an adapter to run the 99-02 f body internal regulator. You would only need one line to the engine compartment. No need for baffles. pump in bucket design keeps pump constantly submerged it is just a much better design.
Last edited by monzaaddict on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 pm

monzaaddict

Next

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech