LS Fuel systems

Moderator: Moderators

Re: LS Fuel systems

Postby vegastre » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:17 pm

The 2010 camaro pumps I see on ebay for like $79.

Hmmm...$79?
Cool deal except the ones on ebay I see are like $300-$1000. Have a link, picture or specific part number possibly =)

Ya, Dave English is detailed and flows right over my head. I have to read his stuff like six times to get the gist of it. I would think there is an easier and cheaper way like... $79 bucks.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby vegastre » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:43 pm

it likely will work but you will need the tank to be half full continuously.

Hmmm...
Let me preface this with I doubt these Blazers pumps were a performance applications and had baffles in the tank. I don't remember seeing a lot of dead and dying 95 S-10's sitting on the side of the road so the pump must work without running a full tank all the time. This is not accounting for multiple abuses a fuel pump takes. I'm sure problems were addressed and came up with a better 'fool proof' mild performance design for new Camaros after fifteen years =)
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby monzaaddict » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:41 pm

The $79 fuel module I saw was probably the pwm controller and not the pump Here is a pump for $155. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Chevrolet- ... 3f21072537. For a daily driver the pump on stick would likely work fine. I didn't say the car would end up dead on the side of the road just that the pump is likely to become uncovered during spirited/drag race type driving. At WOT or if using nitrous he could end up with a damaged engine. (not to mention look silly when trying to impress his friends. -VERY IMPORTANT). There are plenty of examples of people who have done tpi/ls/etc. into 3rd gen camaro , s10's etc. swaps and using the pump on a stick with complaints of the pickup becoming uncovered. there is a reason the modern pumps are being adapted, With the pump on a stick, he is still going to have to run a regulator, filter, and return line which is how this thread got started - no room. If cheap is all you are concerned about then go for the pump on a stick. I personally think that the pump on a stick will work. The car will run. Then within 6 months of actually driving the car he is going to be upgrading. I haven't driven my car in years but I can remember hearing the tone of the in tank pump change when going into turns etc. when the pickup became uncovered. Not the end of the world on a carbureted car under light throttle. On an efi car under full throttle he could have problems.

I also doubt that 95 s10 pump was designed to operate at the 58psi that he needs for an ls. It was likely designed to operate at 40-43 psi.
Last edited by monzaaddict on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.
monzaaddict

Postby vegastre » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:51 pm

For a daily driver the pump on stick would likely work fine.

There we go. This is what I am talking about. Somehow I missed the fact that we were talking about a performance LS motor in a H-body. Sorry about the confusion. Stoopid me.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby Kenova » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:58 pm

monzaaddict wrote:..... pump on stick would likely work fine........

Sounds like a Jeff Dunham routine. :lol:

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby monzaaddict » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:58 pm

I have a 99-02 ls1 camaro pump on my desk. Although it compresses only compresses to about 9 1/2 inches. I think it could be creatively and cheaply modified to compress to about 7 inches in about 10 minutes with a hacksaw. New pumps are about $135 used ones on ebay can be had for $35. You would need a separate fuel level sender. You will also need a separate filter.
monzaaddict

Postby vegastre » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:27 pm

I also doubt that 95 s10 pump was designed to operate at the 58psi that he needs for an ls. It was likely designed to operate at 40-43 psi.

EP381 (E3270 Airtex) = Flow = 50-60 GPH & PSI = 80-90
Here again that psi rating is under perfect conditions at the lab and on the head of the pump. It should yield you a 70-80psi in the vehicle.

Looks like it would work except high performance application. Look, What I know about LS fuel systems you could put in a thimble but I can apply some logic. Surely this has been discussed on here. I know from my racing or performance days you never use stock pumps anyway if that is your point. I am not going to belabor the argument that a pump inside of a plastic bucket is a better design, it is. My thought is adapting our tanks will require a new ring installed and now you say a fuel level so that's another deal. For me its not about being cheap its about being practical and if the $20 pump with no tank modifications works at 80PSI its a simple and yes cheap swap for stock applications. Still, I repeat from my first post on this subject...

I was and still am a bit suspicious about this handling my motor...
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby 1100kaw » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Wow
Pump on a stick.he he he. U funny :lol:
My project, although i keep going deeper and nicer than i originally planned, is going to be a driver. Stock LS, no racing. BUT, I dont want to be embarrassed in front of my friends for sure. nor. do I want to use my AAA to get it home.
Heres a thought, I already have the Vette filter regulator. I think I could find a spot for it. Its just that the pump and filter with all the A N fittings, seamed soo bulky and then add the Noise factor hanging under the car, plus trying to stay away from exhaust. These are the reasons I was trying to come up with something different.
What if, I used the "pump on a stick" and had my sender retored, then fabbed a little pan that that could fasten to the "stick" so the base of the pump would sit in it. Then, run my return from the Vette filter/reglator thru a tube down the top so it goes right into the pan i fabed, so it will always be full. This would be basically a cheap copy of the 2010 Camaro set up.
TAAAA DAAA? :dance:
what do ya think?
Cheap,
A little fabricating,
No major tank mods,
1 line going to the engine,
low noise, and longer life in the tank.
Question? Are we sure this"pump on a stick "makes the 80+PSI it says it does?

I'm going crazy here. I cant afford the $400 retro fuel set up. I have already wasted the money for a Walbro255 external because i got ahead of myself.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it all. Just call me sponge.
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Postby vegastre » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:04 pm

Question? Are we sure this"pump on a stick "makes the 80+PSI it says it does?

Sounds like you have a workable plan. What's the saying? “Nothing ventured, nothing gained” I have embarrassed myself a number of times with some pretty serious Gearheads so no big deal. Its all just a process and my entire SJ fuel pump setup is pretty old and flaky. To answer your question I am going to try the pump and then go from there. The pump may be fine but the rest crap most likely so I will need the entire 95 S-10 setup. My SC swap should be done by June/July unless I run into a major snag, which is a good possibility since I don't have a cook book with this swap =) My point here is if the pump does not work then I'm only out a few bucks and then I will go the more involved route be it a bucket, baffle, Camaro deal, or aftermarket. I will book mark this thread.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:41 pm

2006 ish monte ss impala etc with 5.3 also uses a venturi type pump which appears that it would compress to a similar in height to the camaro pump

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Impala-Monte-Ca ... 64&vxp=mtr
I am not sure but this looks like a returnless system 1 fuel line.
you can see the regulator inside the module. It appears to be on the pressure side with the excess fuel sent directly to the bucket rather than on the return side like the 99-02 ls1 camaro pump. I dont believe this particular pump used pulse width modulation so the regulator should be for 58psi.

I would bet the rings made to mount the 2010 camaro pump would work on this pump too.

This pump also has a fuel level sender, It would likely have to be swapped out with the sk1083 sender but if the sender is bought new there are 2 senders in the box an 1 can be sold on ebay/ls1tech for about $60.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by monzaaddict on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:52 pm

here is a guy that cut down a gto pump
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-h ... ion-4.html
I may be wrong but I think your tank is deeper than his.
monzaaddict

Postby vegastre » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Wow! now that's the way to do a project journal that ends with the car going on the Hot Rod Power Tour. I can't believe I read the whole thing. I think the tour may have helped lite a fire under him. Anyway thanks, well thought out fuel deal and I may very well try this. If I do I will document it, possibly not as detailed as this guy =)
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:52 pm

The cts-v fuel pump is another possibility.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-05-Cadillac- ... c0&vxp=mtr
monzaaddict

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:19 pm

monzaaddict

Postby 1100kaw » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Monzaadict
I appreciate your input.
I'm either stoopit, or blind. I am sooo aggrivated.
I cant figure out how to find any specs on these damn pumps. These are all decent options, but i need to know for sure, the PSI output of them, If they are constant or pulse, physical sizes and dimesions, internal regulated or return type.
I cant figure out how to find this info.
Have you, or anyone else found a site that shows this stuff.
All can find is half ass ed pics, that is never the right angle or side you need to see. And B. S. that dont offer anything important.
Years ago i managed an Auto parts store, I mean years. But back then we had catalogs from every supplier with pics and specs, cross reference numbers, etc.... you could see almost engineering type drawings and pictures. Everything seems top secret now.
Dont this info exist now a days?
From what i see, even the manufacturer web sites offer nothing but application info.
It has to be out there somewhere.
People like Retro fuel have figured it out, surely they didnt just screww around with every pump they ran accross till they hit one they liked?

Sorry for the rant, maybe someone has an answer???? i'm missing.......
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

PreviousNext

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech