weak fuel pump ?

Moderator: Moderators

weak fuel pump ?

Postby Vega Joe » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:58 pm

I have a stock 4 cyl 76 vega with the mono jet carb , the fuel pump wont fill the float bowl if i pull up on the float needle it fills up but seems it doesnt have the pressure to do it on it its own does this sound like a low pressure issue ?? the pump isnt noisey
JOE
Vega Joe

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Re: weak fuel pump ?

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:03 pm

Could be the pump, easiest way is to put a pressure gauge on the end and see what it is. Have you changed the fuel filter?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Vega Joe » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:07 pm

yes i changed the filter but had to take out the check valve insert on it cause it would pump thru it
JOE
Vega Joe

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:11 pm

Ok, well is this an electric pump in the tank? It certainly could be the pump, there is also a short length of hose that connects the pump to the fuel sender line and that could have a crack in it leaking fuel back into the tank. I would also examine the hose that exits he tank and connects to the hard line to make sure it is not crimped or swollen shut etc. Many of these hoses have probably never been changed so it's good to check them over and replace them. You could also have sediment in the tank and it has plugged up the filter sock on the end of the pump. Also check the fuel hard line and make sure it didn't get bent or crimped anywhere along the run. You can check some of this from the outside of the car but eventually you may need to drop the tank to see what's going on in there. It not difficult if the tank is near empty.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Vega Joe » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:40 pm

Yeah stock pump in the tank .I guess I need to check the lines as much as i can see , then buy a fuel pressure gauge,and if its weak then drop the tank to check in there and the condition of the fuel sock, thx CJ
JOE
Vega Joe

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech