question

Moderator: Moderators

question

Postby veehome911 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:30 pm

alright.. so i put a fuel sending unit as well as a pump from a olds.. it fits in the tank great! the only problem is that when i plug it all in it doesnt wanna pump.. im really not sure why.. i have a test light and when i hook it up there is power there.. maybe not enough??? also i tested the pump and it works.. ( hard wired it to the battery with a jumper wire.) would it be a bad thing if i just hard wired the pump up and put a switch in the car?

thanks so much for your help!!

I have a 77 skyhawk..
veehome911

1977 Buick Skyhawk

Re: question

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:38 pm

The fuel pump gets it's voltage through the oil pressure switch. This is a safety mechanism so that if there is no oil pressure the (engine off) there will not be any fuel flow. This is also a safety device in case of an accident you don't have fuel flowing all over the place if you are in a wreck and the fuel pump is still running. It sounds like you may have a poor ground, if the pump runs on the bench with 12 volts it should run on the car. How much voltage do you have at the pump and where are you checking the ground at? You need a volt meter, not just a light.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech