pumping gas

Moderator: Moderators

pumping gas

Postby mirage_brat » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:50 pm

I have to pump gas into my car (77 Monza Mirage) very slow and have to watch it to make sure it doesnt overflow. what would cause that to happen?
mirage_brat

Re: pumping gas

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:19 pm

Sounds like a venting issue. Did you try a different gas station to see if it makes a difference?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby mirage_brat » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:01 am

yeah but it acts like a gas tank tank venting problem
mirage_brat

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:20 am

Well...If you or anyone removed the emission canister then capped the line, that might contribute to a venting problem..

But I think there's a checkball vent included in the top of the fuel sender assembly. Possible that some undercoating spray clogged it up?

I was at an old pump yesterday with a poor working auto shut off, and before I new it, I had about 50 cents of high-test running down the fender and dripping on the ground. So it's something they might all do. Mind likes the gas pump handle cocked so the bottom is at the 8 o'clock position vs. 6 o'clock.

Also only half speed too, but this station pump's fast too.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:39 am

I think a lot has to do with the gas station pumps. Holding the handle in a different position and and slowing down the speed of the pump can help as Marco pointed out.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzabug350 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:15 pm

Sounds like a pressure build up when you open the handle to full speed causing a blow back, due to the filler neck being so short. Start slow and open the handle up to full open slowly. I found this out the hard way one night at the cost of smelling like hi octane all night. My girl friend ragged me all night saying "Man you must be a hard core gear head to use 102 for after shave!!"
monzabug350

1979 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:42 pm

monzabug350 wrote:Sounds like a pressure build up when you open the handle to full speed causing a blow back, due to the filler neck being so short. Start slow and open the handle up to full open slowly. I found this out the hard way one night at the cost of smelling like hi octane all night. My girl friend ragged me all night saying "Man you must be a hard core gear head to use 102 for after shave!!"

Sweet! It is AWESOME that she has that kind of sense of Humour! :th: And that is Hilarious (double for coming from a "Girl") of course it was at the expense of a man so maybe not quite double! :lol: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech