Air Cleaner that Fits

Moderator: Moderators

Air Cleaner that Fits

Postby Vegabee » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:52 pm

After some experimenting and extra parts purchase that are now on shelf thought i would put up an air filter fit posting.If using a cowl hood,prob no problems,but here is the tallest filters for a stocker.It all depends on the ht. of the engine install so here is an initial measure of the room you may have to work with.With a straight edge and some Q-tips on the front fenders and slight touch of the top of the filter cover is the starting point
There are two filter bases to use either the GM 6422188 http://www.classicindustries.com/produc ... 22188.html for Holleys
or Allstar ALL25900 kit
Cut some foam at diff hts. and use the straight edge for a max filter element ht.
Cutting hood braces adds to the filter ht.Partially close hood and trace around filter cover with white pencil
I did this with the radiator out and no front acc. on the engine reaching up and tracing,may be more difficult on a running car.trim with cutting wheel
Carefully did this with hood painted and had no problem.
Traced and cut some filler foam I had but any type of other material may work for the re-enforcement gaps created
Inserted the fillers and got some strong black adhesive to re secure the braces tight to the hood sheet as well as 'glue in' the fillers.
Now the filter cover extends up where the braces were
1/4' from the hood skin is ideal
3 1/4" for my car so searched for that size air filter
And job done.
Vegabee

Re: Air Cleaner that Fits

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:12 pm

I had to work to get my 14" open element air cleaner to work on my car as well. I have a old Edelbrock C3BX intake along with a Edelbrock carb and I had to go with a drop base air cleaner and a 2 1/2" air filter element to get it to fit. I also machined down the air filter nut for extra clearance. It's tight but it fits. It is important to check the fit and plan for the tight fit before closing the hood!
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Re: Air Cleaner that Fits

Postby 6D9 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:59 pm

Very nice I always enjoy your posts
72 Vega GT...406 sbc..TH700R4...3.42 gear...235/60/15 MT DR's....11.54 at 118.6..Dad's car
72 Vega GT...4cyl..4 speed..all stock
6D9

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech