Best efi

Moderator: Moderators

Best efi

Postby yfz450man » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:39 am

Howdy all !
So I’m contemplating switching to an efi set up for my Spyder just a quick background on what I have
It’s a .040 small block trick flow heads, full roller drivetrain, edlebrock performer intake accel hei distributor
4 speed stock in the tank fuel pump

Ok now that is out of the way, I’m kind of at a loss on which efi kit I should go with I’d prefer something simply my dilemma is do I need to remove/replace the fuel pump or can I add an inline to bump the pressure up or will the stock one not be able to keep up ?
I put the motor in the car and as I understand it the fuel pump is supposed to be signaled via the oil pressure switch which mine does not have one so I’m assuming someone at some point was creative and wire to a key on set up so I hope that won’t be an issue

I’m sure someone has done this and if you could give me a direction and. Tips I’d so appreciate

I looked at the Holley sniper but it seems like general web consensus is run from that kit
Again any help would be appreciated
yfz450man

Re: Best efi

Postby cosvega76 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:42 am

I had a FiTech throttle body system on my Vega, used an Aeromotive pump in the tank. The fuel injection system controlled the fuel pump. I ran a 10 ga wire from the throttle body to the body connection for the pump, as was recommended by Aeromotive. No oil pump switch required.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 283vega » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:27 am

Cosvega76 , did you run a return line or was that not needed?
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby cosvega76 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:17 am

Yes, mine needed a return line. I just bent one up with some brake line.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby yfz450man » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:33 am

Cos what kit did you get from FiTech ? And we’re you happy with it ? How was the install process ? How was the retro for the Areo pump ? Sorry for all the question just hoping to get some real world answers instead of everyone’s internet opinions which I don’t want lol ! Thank you
yfz450man

Postby cosvega76 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:55 am

I used the 30002 Go EFI 600, along with the Aeromotive 11569 fuel pump. Overall, I was pleased with the kit. I found that the temp sensor supplied didn't read the coolant temperature correctly,, but it is a common GM-style sender, so a replacement was easy to find. The throttle springs seemed to be a bit stiff. I ended up disconnecting the spring from the forward throttle shaft and adding a lighter spring to the linkage.

Lil Blue Car 012-1.jpg

It certainly was a different experience setting idle speed and tuning from the driver seat. I did have one issue with the vehicle not wanting to start after a drive. A couple of calls to their Tech department resulted in them emailng me a new tune. All was better after that. I did use the timing control feature, which allowed timing control that you couldn't achieve with just weights and springs in the distributor.

Between their online FAQs and internet users videos, you can get a handle on what all of the parameters control and how to adjust them to solve driveabilty issues.

As far as installing the pump goes, I didn't document this particular install, but I wrote an article for the Cosworth Vega Association magazine that covers it.

CV Replacement Fuel Pump Article.pdf

Chuck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Carb/Intake/EFI Induction Tech