Sanding Blocks

Moderator: Moderators

Sanding Blocks

Postby 76wagon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:30 pm

Within the next few weeks I'll be (hopefully) starting bodywork on the wagon. I need some sanding blocks and was leaning towards this set:
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/d ... /overview/

Wondering if anyone has used these and how they liked them, or any recommendations anybody might have.

Phill
76wagon

Re: Sanding Blocks

Postby kgroombr » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:16 pm

I like dura-block. I think Eastwood has this same set on sale now for about $60.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby jcrider » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:14 am

I'll vote for Dura Block too. They are nice and light and reasonably priced
jcrider

Postby 76wagon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:18 pm

Just ordered those sanding blocks. Found them $30 cheaper with free shipping at amazon (bonus). I'll let everyone know how they work when the bodywork starts.

Here's another question. I'm looking at adhesive backed sandpaper rolls and the 3M is 2-1/2x the price of the other guys. I don't doubt the 3m is better but I doubt it's that much better. Any thoughts?

Phill
76wagon

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:57 pm

We don't use the sand paper at work but I can tell you the 3M Scotchbrite (Norton too) is way better than the no-name crap! Even when it starts to wear it can still clean and polish for a long time. I hold on to the worn stuff for less aggressive finishing/polishing and light cleaning as the new stuff can change the surface finish real quick. I hope that helps a little Phill. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:57 pm

We don't use the sand paper at work but I can tell you the 3M Scotchbrite (Norton too) is way better than the no-name crap! Even when it starts to wear it can still clean and polish for a long time. I hold on to the worn stuff for less aggressive finishing/polishing and light cleaning as the new stuff can change the surface finish real quick. I hope that helps a little Phill. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Fastmax32168 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:15 pm

Not saying it has to be 3M but buying good sandpaper is worth the money. The cheap stuff wears out too quick. and those blocks you bought are excellent.
Roy
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby jcrider » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:08 pm

I do bodywork for a living, and I can tell you, good sandpaper is worth the extra cost. Mirka and Norton are both decent and a little cheaper than 3m. But the 3m gold blocking paper is still better than any other brand I have tried. The cheap no-name stuff dulls and clogs so quickly that it makes way more work than the savings is worth, At least in my opinion
jcrider

Postby Wizeguyrc » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:45 pm

Klingspor is what we use and is the best paper I have ever seen. Last twice as long as 3M. Their paper features a velcro type backing so you can remove and reuse the same piece as you go from one grit to the other. They sell the one side of the velcro in a roll that sticks to your blocks. The sandpaper has the "cloth" side of the velco. It's as expensive as 3M, but as I said, last longer and you end up using less material in the long run. The roloc type disc are awesome as well.

http://www.klingspor.com/
Wizeguyrc

Postby 76wagon » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:31 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I talked to a friend of mine who manages the body shop at a trucking company, he says he can get me this kind of stuff at his cost. I'm going to see if his guy carries klingspor, I like the sound of that stuff. Plus it looks like they sell smaller rolls than the 3M comes in, I'm only painting one car after all. I know for sure they carry 3M though.

I guess I should just bite the bullet and buy the good stuff. Once the money's gone from the bank account I tend to like the thing I traded it for better anyway!

Phill
76wagon

Postby ponchonuty » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:20 am

A little late but...Sherwin Williams has some great sand papers too. That is what we use at the body shop I work at.
ponchonuty

Postby 76wagon » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:14 pm

I've had a chance to use those sanding blocks over the last couple weeks and would highly recommend this set. I used to use one of those half sheet sanding blocks meant for drywall and having the long board makes all the difference in the world getting things shaped. Also the round block saved me a ton of time with the wheel arches, it still took a few tries but I was doing the rear that I flared and the front that I spliced. I`ll bet I can have the other side of the car shaped and primed in a day (first side took almost 2 days). This stuff used to take me weeks when I only had the short block. So if anyone is looking to do a body job I`d say buy these blocks, the time you`ll save will be worth the money.

Also the paper I ended up getting was Norton gold. Not the best I`ve ever used but pretty damn good. I have some 3M gold paper from crappy tire and I`d say the Norton is just as good. Also it`s half the price or less.

Phill
76wagon

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair