Flush mount windows

Moderator: Moderators

Flush mount windows

Postby rgsuperstrat » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:43 am

So my trim looks bad. I have the great book on building pro-touring machines and it mentions flush mounting windows like the new cars. I am going to try it. I am looking for some trim to use currently, and I think I have a pretty good idea on what to do. The whole thing is from what I gather is, you raise the window by building up the surface it mounts to. Then, you use a flush trim the seal the deal. I am going to do a dry run using screws to mout thin metal on the surface. Then mock mount the window, and see how it goes. If it works, then I will weld the metal in place, and permanately mount the glass, then trim. If it doesnt work, I will purchase some fine quality enamel, and paint the trim to my liking!! So, if anybody has any ideas, or has ever thought about it, let me know. It seems to be just as scary to the hot rod guys as a tilt nose project. Not too scary is it? Once again, no guts, no glory!
rgsuperstrat

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby AusRs » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:03 am

easiest way to get a flush mount would be to make small rubber blocks up about 1 inch x 1/4 inch x whatever thickness you need to raise it ),glue them to the metal around the screen
fill up the area with urethane(sp) to seal it ,apply trim around screen and wait 24 hours for it to dry
then do the same to the hatch glass

well thats my theory anyway :)
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby rgsuperstrat » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:00 am

The rubber blocks would be a great idea, and alot faster than the metal. Then, in the event tha I dont like it in a few years, or days sometimes, it would be somewhat reversable. Thank you.
rgsuperstrat

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby AusRs » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:15 am

the only issue i see with the flush mount is most modern cars have a windscreen that finishes under hood level
whereas what you propose still has a trim along the bottom
also the monza has square edges in the corners meaning 4 pieces of trim need to be made seperately ......may not look so good
AusRs

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:50 am

Why not just refinish your trim?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby AusRs » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:18 am

cjbiagi wrote:Why not just refinish your trim?

actually thats what i am going to do .......repaint black !
AusRs

Postby res0o7eb » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:42 pm

I remember seeing a first-gen Firebird in High Performance Pontiac (I think) in which somebody had flush-mounted the rear window and windshield (I think). Looked good. It was probably about 10 years ago, so I don't remember the exact details. But the window channel was trimmed slightly, smoothed up, and the window was mounted using some modern rubber window mounting channel material.

--Tom
Last edited by res0o7eb on Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby greg72 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:12 pm

I too have seen it done on some 70's cars and I think it really looks sharp.

It is one of those things that when done right the average car person doesn't notice, but they keep thinking something is different about this car.

Years ago i knew a guy who chpped the top on a 55-57 Chevy/ GMC pick-up , but not like you would think. He chopped it something like 2 inches or so. You could not tell unless it was parked next to another one. But man did that truck look RIGHT. I mean it was like they should have made them that way originally!

Again it took a lot of work for such a subtle change , but the overall look when finished was worth it.
I think that flush mounting windows on an older car could have the same affect.
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 80poncho » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:29 pm

My friend is in the process of doing this to his Vega right now. All the windows have been raised out to be flush with the body, and the gaps filled in to use the smaller available window seals, and do away with the older trim.

I have to admit, it looks amazing so far...
80poncho

Postby res0o7eb » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:15 am

80poncho wrote:My friend is in the process of doing this to his Vega right now. All the windows have been raised out to be flush with the body, and the gaps filled in to use the smaller available window seals, and do away with the older trim.

I have to admit, it looks amazing so far...

Pictures????
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby 80poncho » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:56 am

I'll have to try and go over there in the next week or two and take some photo's I can upload...
80poncho

Postby 80poncho » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:09 am

Here's some shots, car is being built, and some of my camera work is less than stellar, but you can get the idea.. I am going to have to go back and take better pictures, I must have changed something in the camera settings and didn't notice, as they are really blurry..

Go to the gallery page here for more shots of the car in progress...
http://www.ossystems.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album09

[/code]
80poncho

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair