Options for Rusty?

Moderator: Moderators

Options for Rusty?

Postby res0o7eb » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:13 pm

I've heard POR-15 can do wonders for rusted areas. Do you think the battery tray area can be salvaged on my silver 76 Vega GT?

Oh, wait. Uhhh ... closer inspection reveals that there doesn't appear to be a battery tray (that's the garage floor) ... nor is there the fenderwell extension below it ... or the core support in front of it ... and the frame rail is almost gone.

Note: No sheet metal was 'harmed' in the making of this picture. All natural oxidation removed it 'gently' over a period of 30 years.

What to do? Maybe a little fiberglass, bondo, duct tape, and bailing wire along with that black paint stuff? Should I relocate the battery to the rear hatch? Also, is the idler arm supposed to move when I turn the wheels? If not, should I convert to rack and pinion steering? Tube Frame front-end. Parts Car?

Do you have some 'advice' for Rusty?

Thanks,
Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby barebonesracecars » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:49 pm

Oh, my. At least you have a good sense of humor about it. :)

Any advice I might offer would depend on how the rest of the car looks. If it's all like those pictures, 'parts car' comes to mind.

If that's the worst of it, then my next question would be, What are your plans for the car?

Drag racing: Jegs front clip & subframe rails/connectors
Street: possible donor car, since the rust is ahead of the suspension

Also, how in love with the car are you? If it has some special meaning, then almost any amount of rust may not stop you from seeing gold. I've seen pics of some very nice restos done on cars I wouldn't have the guts to tackle.

Was it Mr. Spock that said, "There are always alternatives"?
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby Racin Jason » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:47 pm

Wow, that battery really wanted out of that car.
Our blessed mother of acceleration dont fail me now. -Elwood Blues
Racin Jason

Postby v8astregt » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:02 pm

YIKES!

Is there any attachment to the car?

In all honesty, I would look for a good car down here in AZ, and ship it up. The cars here don't rust, and it looks like you've got a ton of time/$$ to be invested if you want to do that car.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby ColinOpseth » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:30 am

All I can say is: wow.

If the rest of the car is solid I'd just cut all of that out and weld in new sheetmetal. You should put the battery in the trunk for better weight transfer, anyway.

If you intend to race the car you should tube-chassis it :)
Later,
Colin
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby res0o7eb » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:12 pm

I added pics of the car to the garage, so there is now a link to it in my posts. Sorry, this post became so long - I was thinking 'out loud' in the end.

The rest of the car is in fairly good shape, despite sitting outside under an apple tree for who knows how many Washington winters (i.e. constant rain).

No, I am not 'attached' to this car at all.
At first, I thought you all meant 'is the frame rail still attached' !! That answer is 'barely'.

The car is complete and mostly original.
And I have a valid WA state title for it. It's not a simple task to obtain a title to a non-running, out-of-state car here. Then there's shipping costs as well.

But, Josh, you have a valid point. BTW, your Astre is incredible! (I have a 75 Astre with a Buick Odd V-6 that I would like to put a Pontiac V-8 in it, if it's at all possible. I'll add it to the Garage, but it's not really worthy. Although it is roadworthy) And you found yours for $70 in a salvage yard?!!!? If there is a rust-free Vega GT with valid title down there for that price, I would be interested. Although, I need another car like I need another hole in my head.

I'm more into cornering and cruising than drag racing. But, I certainly do appreciate the craftsmanship of those who convert one of these to a drag car. Wow, there are some fine examples here on this site and others.

My plan for this Vega is/was to do a performance build of the 140 c.i. engine as IECO did in the 1970's. (Are there other 'aliens' out there who think like me or am I the only moron who really wants to do this). Anyway, the rear-end is strong enough - no back-half needed. A new front-end with improved suspension geometry and brakes would be nice, though. I'm not sure if the drag car front-end allows wider wheels and is suitable for cornering. But, with that modification, a V-8 is tempting - my preference would be a LS1 with carb. But, then a stronger rear end is needed and it $pirals upward from there. Seems like a more suitable car should be obtained, but I'd need to get rid of this Vega.

Alternatively, I could remove the poorly-installed V-6 in the Astre and put the 140 in it as it came from the factory with one. But it IS a driver. It also 'needs' a Pontiac engine in it.
res0o7eb

Postby barebonesracecars » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:49 pm

It also 'needs' a Pontiac engine in it.

I like the way you think. :thumb:

However, yes, there are guys on here who build and enyoy their 4-cylinders. At least one (HIGHWINDINGMONZA) drag races his regularly.

If the rest of the car is good, you can weld decently, and with the other challenges you mentioned, I think I might try to weld in a frame horn from a donor. Since the rust is ahead of the suspension and steering (except for the idler arm), it should be possible.

A 326 would be plenty of engine in a light Astre, although somewhat difficult to find nowadays. 400's are still plentiful. If I owned it, though, that's where my lonely 455 would end up, I believe. :burn: Either one will take a toll on your handling balance, unfortunately. :(
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby astreformula » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:38 am

Hey Tom. Don't let a little rust scare you. I went through the same thing on two of my cars. My latest looks just like yours. Yes, you will need a donor car. Welding in replacement sheetmetal is the easy part. Making sure everything aligns up before fully welding takes the most time.

Al

PS How are those Astre decals?
astreformula

Postby v8astregt » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:57 pm

75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby peterpan » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:47 pm

i have a 73 vega donor car
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

1976 Vega in Denver

Postby res0o7eb » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:20 pm

Josh,

One too many zeros. I'm counting on you to find me an $80 car in Arizona. :-)

Here's a decent looking H-body that's a little closer in price AND location.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/car/179421214.html

Clear Title, too. Hmmm.... tempting.
res0o7eb

Al's Words of Encouragement

Postby res0o7eb » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:59 pm

Al,

Thanks for the encouragement. I would definitely like to see your cool Astre Formula in person. And the current rust repair opportunity you are undertaking.

Yes I do have the Formula decals. I'll try to post pictures of them in the garage or album or whatever they call it here. This is a great site, isn't it?
res0o7eb

Peter Pan's Donor Car

Postby res0o7eb » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:04 pm

Peter,

Did I send you an email last fall about a frame rail from your donor car? Were you the guy who got the Vega driver + Vega parts car on ebay? I seem to remember contacting someone from Wyoming who won a bid on ebay.
res0o7eb

Postby Monza1979 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:42 am

res0o7eb, that sunbird is my car. if you want more info on it email me at monza_1979@hotmail.com . i hate to see it go but i need to make room for a skyhawk and possibly another monza. just if you come look at it don't think about buying any of the monza parts around it!!!! :D
Kevin
monza_1979@hotmail.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2124929

1979 Monza Hatchback Red(soon to be a 327!)
1978 Chevy SWB scottsdale 4x4, 350, sm465, np205.
1976 Buick Skyhawk 3.8, CO6, silver(for sale make offer)
Monza1979

1979 Chevrolet Monza

Postby peterpan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:30 am

i don't remember any emails about a frame section but not sure
no i didn't get any vegas from ebay as far as i know i am the only one from wy around here
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair