Decal & Residue Removal

Moderator: Moderators

Decal & Residue Removal

Postby acstestinc » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:07 pm

What's the best solution to removing the left over glue residue from the Spyder decals? "Goo Gone" works but is it the rightstuff to use.

PS: Any tips on removing the hood decal ? Doors came off easy. Hood is being stubborn. It has dried out and craked in places. That combined with the size of it makes it alot tougher than the doors. I'm using a heat gun but you have to use it sparingly. Too much and the decal stretches like Gumby, not enough and it snaps apart.

Paul
acstestinc

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Fastmax32168 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:40 am

Paul,
There are a couple of options, usually you just have to experiment to see what works best in a particular case.
If I am trying to save the paint I usually end up with a heat gun and plastic razor blades. They also make a rubber eraser that fits in a drill and peels the decal back using friction without harming the paint. Both these items are available at your local bodyshop supply store.
Goo gone should work OK for you. Once again a trip to your local supply shop will net you a choice of products for decal and glue removal. Some soften the decal and make it fall off, some remove the glue. Some more paint friendly than others.
Roy
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby acstestinc » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:26 am

Well all the decals are peeled off but it wasn't a fun job. The side stripes were easy. The hood was a bit tough. Especially on one side that seemed to have adhered a bit harder than the other.

Now I have to clean off the glue residue !!!

Paul
acstestinc

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby peterpan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:42 pm

go to eastwood tools web site they have a tool called a eraser that goes in a drill or die grinder that works pretty good to take decals off i have used them many times
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby AusRs » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:49 pm

peterpan wrote:go to eastwood tools web site they have a tool called a eraser that goes in a drill or die grinder that works pretty good to take decals off i have used them many times

i also have used that type of tool
1 question though
the one i have used is suitable for 2pac only ,it tells you not to attempt to use it on an acrylic based paint
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby peterpan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:57 pm

i have only used it on base coat clear coat not sure about other paints

it would be a good idea to test it somewhere hidden first on anything other than base coat clear coat
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair