Sandblasting

Moderator: Moderators

Sandblasting

Postby NixVegaGT » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:59 pm

OK so I'm just now sandblasting for the first time. I just went through a 50 lb. bag of silica sand. I got the front underfacia and the upper part of the inner wheel well. It took about 40 min. It feels like it's going to take forever. Can anybody let me know how long this is going to take? Thanks guys. I'm hoping I can get it done in 8 hrs.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:22 pm

Sandblasting for certain parts of the car is fantastic. Depending on what size blaster you have along with the size of the air compressor will make a big difference. A decent size sandblaster takes a LOT of air. My compressor won't really keep up with it and I have to let it recover pretty often. However, for items like suspension parts, brackets etc., it really makes them look like brand new again and there is no way to get them in better shape for paint. It is messy and time consuming though. Make sure you are wearing some sort of mask. I also use a strainer to reuse whatever sand I can recover. I usually blast on a big tarp which catches a lot of it.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby ColinOpseth » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:24 am

Check out the pics in my garage. You need one of those sandblasting cans and a decent compressor. Mine kicks ass. I did my whole underhood area and one of the wheelwells in about 3 hours. :)
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby peterpan » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:53 pm

it took me all winter to do mine between the wleding and blasting

i sent you a pm about rust converter and seam sealer

i seen in your pics that your battery tray was rusted mine was to i plan on moving my battery to the trunk area so mine was a easy fix i can get pics of how i did it if you want to see them

i just painted mine check it out
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby NixVegaGT » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:23 am

So I finally finished! 12 hours. My body feels like I was a target of a nasty blanket party! The funny part is blasting the underside was easier than standing in the engine compartment. The farther I got the more I was wondering why I didn't just buy the sandblaster like you guys did. I ended up renting it for two days. It was only $25 a day but I could totally use one all the time!... Maybe I should just buy one.
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby barebonesracecars » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:45 pm

12 hours is pretty good.

It took me 18 years to finish mine. (oK, that included more than just sandblasting!)

Definitely take Clyde's advice and wear a GOOD mask. Silica is terrible on your lungs. Other than that, you'll learn to live with sand in your hair, between your toes, in your ears, etc.

Are you renting a pressure blaster or a suction blaster? The former works much better (i.e.; faster) but they are quite a bit more expensive. Worth it though!

If I may, I'll offer some advice on blast cabinets, too: If you buy one
of these, don't waste your money on a cheap-o $100 cabinet. They only ones that you won't curse at are going to cost $300-up.
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby barebonesracecars » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:48 pm

12 hours is pretty good.

It took me 18 years to finish mine. (oK, that included more than just sandblasting!)

Definitely take Clyde's advice and wear a GOOD mask. Silica is terrible on your lungs. Other than that, you'll learn to live with sand in your hair, between your toes, in your ears, etc.

Are you renting a pressure blaster or a suction blaster? The former works much better (i.e.; faster) but they are quite a bit more expensive. Worth it though!

If I may, I'll offer some advice on blast cabinets, too: If you buy one
of these, don't waste your money on a cheap-o $100 cabinet. The only ones that you won't curse at are going to cost $300-up.
Last edited by barebonesracecars on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Re: Sandblasting

Postby NixVegaGT » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:37 pm

Good advice everybody. I did end up using a good mask. Here's a pic:

Here's a pic of what it looked like when I finished the blasting. I ended up buying a blaster. It has really paid for itself in the long run. That's my advice in the end:

A couple more for how it turned out after sealing:

NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair