Rustoleum-roller paint job, finally made one of the mags

Moderator: Moderators

Rustoleum-roller paint job, finally made one of the mags

Postby JohnP » Tue May 22, 2007 4:48 pm

Latest issue of Hot Rod. $98 dollar paint job. I'v followed that tread on the Mopar forum where it started and wonder which mag would be first to try it, thought it would be CarCraft. Anyway article is step by step. And mentioned it stating on a forum on the web. Too bad the guy who originally posted this method didn't get a mention.

I may try it on my Vega.
JohnP

Postby cjbiagi » Tue May 22, 2007 5:20 pm

I just finished reading that article. Hard to really tell the quality from a picture, but it does still sound like a lot of work although you certainly can't beat the price! I painted my car myself and know how much effort it takes to turn out a show quality job. I wasn't able to afford the type of job I wanted so I learned how to paint myself. It also comes in handy now when I want to touch up things. While paint prices have really went up over time, I painted my car with Dupont lacquer base and clear coat for under $500 in supplies. It just takes a lot of time and patience, oh yeah, and a ton of sandpaper! The majority of my car was painted way back in 1994 and it looks as good today as when I finished. Some folks may not like lacquer (including the EPA, since it is pretty much obsolete now) it really is well suited for a garage paint job since it dries so fast. The color sanding is a pain though. I did win a award for Best Paint once, that really made my day.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby gerbsinmd » Wed May 23, 2007 7:31 am

That's the method I am using to paint my car and have been posting in another thread. Unfortunately I have stalled in the painting at this point. Hopefully after schools is out and we are only running the kids to 2 or 3 things a week instead of 2 - 3 things a day I can get back at it and get it put together.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby JohnP » Wed May 23, 2007 10:34 am

Darrel, will be interesting to see your results once you have time to finish. Keep us updated.

Duplicolor just came out with a paint that is ready to go out of the can, no mixing, reducing etc. And there is no recoat window. Seems like a nice alternative for spraying a car yourself. A bit easier.

I agree this roller method seems very labor/time intesive. Inexpensive materials and less mess from overspray, but the time to do all the coats and then wet sanding takes a lot of time, guess its all relative.

The previous owner of my car painted it himself, not a bad job but he mixed leftover colors to get the blue. He must have run low when he was doing the doors, paint is thin and blotchy, looks really bad in the sun. Body work is good, really smooth, I'd just have to scuff and repaint.

I want my car to look like it has an original paint job. While being fresh paint on it that could be a 70's paint job. That is why I was thinking using this rustoleum method might look "old" but be a new paint job.
JohnP

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair