Mirage Side Panels

Moderator: Moderators

Mirage Side Panels

Postby Spooky » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:46 pm

Anyone know of a replacement available for the plastic channel that the side panels on a Mirage fit into? Mine are cracked in several places and would like to repair them when I have the car painted. Thanks.
Spooky

Postby gerbsinmd » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:11 pm

I don't know of any direct replacements. What I am going to try to use when I re-assemble mine I was going to look at something like the trim pieces that you use to finish the edge of paneling in your house. I think that's what someone used on one side of my car already and just notched them so they would follow the contour of the car.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Mirage panel replacements

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:07 am

I also found some thing like that at Lowes stores maybe Marco could find them they were marked as a front door weather strip sticking up on a end of a aslile I looked at Home Depot and could not find them,,, :arrow: It has a long area where the pop rivets could be used and hid when you raise the ovelaping edge up and slip the top of the Mirage panel into the crease. :idea: You could put two sided tape and fit it and put two or four rivets into the bottom and pull the tape waxed part out of the top and press the panel into the new painted body then remove the bottom rivets and Mirage panel and drill new holes if you could not get the old hole's to alighn up,, :arrow: Method two place tape on the old hole's and make a crosshair to find the old holes and hope you get it right,I have done a lot of custom vans with body panel's and flare,, spoiler's replacement at the body shop. the new tracks would be a plus as the old one are brittle and no replacement stock has ever been found. :arrow: One of the member's on the Older Monza Site V8monza.com.,,,,was all up for making a run of extrusions.,,,, :arrow: He was a CAD engineer,,,and could draw up a die to cast the units but needed a person in a manufacturig extruder plant to get permission for a run of say 250 units each five to six foot long.,,,Some cars would need a few extra pieces,,, The cost????? :arrow: Each Mirage owner at least some $$$$$bucks :idea: Unless we had a "h-body member" with "conection's" and could "swing the deal",,,,, So where is :arrow: FordTruckNut :arrow: Has he changed his name????? Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby kev » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:05 am

hey dont know if ur still trying to figure this out the dates kinda old but if u are theres another alternative but its not factory looking theres a company that makes glues for cars its fuser i think that might not be how you spell it but they make a glue you can use to band plastic to metal you could use that then fiberglass the top where the side panels stop and smooth it out to make it look like its built right into the panel
kev

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair