Fender flares

Moderator: Moderators

Fender flares

Postby NixVegaGT » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:54 pm

Anybody got experience making fender flares for our cars? THe early Vega specifically? Any pix somewhere. Would you use sheetmetal or glass?

Thanks guys.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby gotmud7 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:37 pm

Hi. I recently won some fender flares on ebay. They are for my 72 Vega. They were from a seller named muskympt. They are fiberglass. I would say they would make a good starting point for some flares. I complained to the seller about the fit being off. He said he made a mold off a car that had steel flares on it. After he said that I can see why they are off. When trying to test fit them, it seemed like they would fit better if I cut out alot of the sheet metal and mounted the flare flush with the metal - not bonding it onto the metal. Any way, he sells them all the time. I won mine for $41 plus $20 to ship. I wouldn't pay any more than that for these. Also, don't expect to unbox these and mount them up. At first I wasn't even sure which flare was for what side. In the long run, I think I need to cut off most of the flare, and wing it when it comes to lining it up with the body. And use a lot of filler. Oh yeah. This guys rear spoilers don't fit. Don't waste your money.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby NixVegaGT » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:02 am

Thanks for the post. I was thinking the same thing. I'm a bit frightened of cutting the fenders because they are in really good shape. Hmmm. I've gotten a set of flares for the VW rabbit race car I'm working on. We'll see how that goes.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair