1/4 window trim removal & parts to save

Moderator: Moderators

1/4 window trim removal & parts to save

Postby NHRA Stk Starfire » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:09 pm

Since I have had no luck getting rid of my 75 parts car ( now body shell ) as one, I have started taking off what I think maybe useful in the future. The rest of the car will be scrapped in the coming week. I know it is getting hard to get parts, trim, etc., so this is why I am trying to save what I can, even if my garage is packed now, haha. I have so far removed the windshield and hatch window moldings, front corner lights, tail lights, front and rear metal trim at headliner, visors, steering wheel, step plates at bottom of door openings, etc. But I have yet to remove the 1/4 window moldings. I tried to pop them off with my trim tool ( have the right one for windshield trim ) but I can't get the 1/4 trim off. I don't want to get to rough with them as they are still in good shape. Any ideas?
I know that the glass is still good and maybe the wheels are useable, but I only have so much room to store parts at home, so I have to be picky on what I save. The interior needs redoen anyway ( seats torn and dash pad cracked ) so I am not to concerned with those parts. It would be nice if some one, some where, had an H-body salvage yard, don't ya think? Any thing else besides what I have removed so far that I should save?
Rick

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire GT
Factory 305 / Auto
NHRA Stk Starfire

Postby AusRs » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:47 pm

basically you have to cut the side glass out to remove those trims
i
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby spyder_xlch » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:06 pm

I wish I lived closer. I'm in north eastern PA. If I was out in western PA I'd give you a hand and take what you didn't want.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: 1/4 window trim removal & parts to save

Postby 10secvega » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:10 pm

NHRA Stk Starfire wrote:Since I have had no luck getting rid of my 75 parts car ( now body shell ) as one, I have started taking off what I think maybe useful in the future. The rest of the car will be scrapped in the coming week. I know it is getting hard to get parts, trim, etc., so this is why I am trying to save what I can, even if my garage is packed now, haha. I have so far removed the windshield and hatch window moldings, front corner lights, tail lights, front and rear metal trim at headliner, visors, steering wheel, step plates at bottom of door openings, etc. But I have yet to remove the 1/4 window moldings. I tried to pop them off with my trim tool ( have the right one for windshield trim ) but I can't get the 1/4 trim off. I don't want to get to rough with them as they are still in good shape. Any ideas?
I know that the glass is still good and maybe the wheels are useable, but I only have so much room to store parts at home, so I have to be picky on what I save. The interior needs redoen anyway ( seats torn and dash pad cracked ) so I am not to concerned with those parts. It would be nice if some one, some where, had an H-body salvage yard, don't ya think? Any thing else besides what I have removed so far that I should save?

How bad is the car,does it have a title can you send me pics?
Just a gold Vega with a little V-6

10secvega

Postby NHRA Stk Starfire » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:34 pm

"basically you have to cut the side glass out to remove those trims"

Guess I won't be removing the 1/4 trim, :lol:

"How bad is the car,does it have a title can you send me pics?"

Go to this thread for pics. I can send more if needed. I just got the title from my brother-in-law and need to get it switched over. He never got around to changing it, so I may be doing it this week.
Rick

Factory 305 / Auto
NHRA Stk Starfire

Postby spyder_xlch » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:13 pm

Don't switch the title if you're going to junk it or give it to someone. That's just money you don't have to spend. If someone here gets it just have your brother-in-law transfer it to them.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby patrick1151 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:45 pm

If you want to sell those sill plates, I have someone looking for a pair.
1979 Pontiac Sunbird 262/TH350
1977 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon 151/TH350
1979 Ponriac Sunbird 3.8/TH350
patrick1151

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby NHRA Stk Starfire » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:10 pm

I will have to look at my 77 to see how the sill plates are. If I have extra, I will let you know.
Rick

Factory 305 / Auto
NHRA Stk Starfire

Re: 1/4 window trim removal & parts to save

Postby NHRA Stk Starfire » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:10 am

10secvega wrote:
NHRA Stk Starfire wrote:Since I have had no luck getting rid of my 75 parts car ( now body shell ) as one, I have started taking off what I think maybe useful in the future. The rest of the car will be scrapped in the coming week. I know it is getting hard to get parts, trim, etc., so this is why I am trying to save what I can, even if my garage is packed now, haha. I have so far removed the windshield and hatch window moldings, front corner lights, tail lights, front and rear metal trim at headliner, visors, steering wheel, step plates at bottom of door openings, etc. But I have yet to remove the 1/4 window moldings. I tried to pop them off with my trim tool ( have the right one for windshield trim ) but I can't get the 1/4 trim off. I don't want to get to rough with them as they are still in good shape. Any ideas?

How bad is the car,does it have a title can you send me pics?

Hey Kevin, have you checked your PM?
Rick

Factory 305 / Auto
NHRA Stk Starfire

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair