fitting rear bar section

Moderator: Moderators

fitting rear bar section

Postby AusRs » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:31 am

yesterday finished fitting up the rear bar section and was most unimpressed with the way the lower plastic section was all wrinkled :(
removed everything and fitted the bar cover to a different reo that i have ...........all bolted back together SAME issue (looked like crap)
so i undid the bolts and slipped a 5 mm alloy plate up behind the shock absorber to bar bolts ...looked good BUT still a little wrinkled :(
next step was to remove bolts from the shock absorber to body mounts ,get another section of 5 mm alloy plate ,drill some holes in it and re bolt all back together
result
rear bar looks perfect NO wrinkles ,

hope this helps someone out
NO idea why i had to do this as there is NO evidence of previous rear damage !,all body to bar gaps look great now !
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby acstestinc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:05 am

How is the gap / alignment of the lower bumper cover to the upper half ?

I have a slight wave on the passenger side that I tried to remove with a spacer, which helped, but then put the lower cover / bumper out of parallel with the upper part.
acstestinc

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby AusRs » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:26 am

i spaced both sides out evenly
before i spaced the bar was actually touching the upper section after spacing the gaps look good
just a small section that is slightly out of shape right down the bottom where no one will ever see it :)
just surprised i had to space so much !
AusRs

Postby 77 Spyder » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:25 am

Those thing really fit bad right from GM, don't they? Mine looked pretty bad before I took my car apart, & I did simular things you mentioned above. I also removed those corner bumper things on the front impact bar. They make the corner of the fascia stick way out just behind the signal lights. My rear fascia is also a bit wavy right below the taillights. I think it has to do with the way the are fastened to the body. At least it seems to be that way.

Carl
77 Spyder

1977 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby steelhead » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:06 pm

I had extra problems with my grey one being it was bumped in the front and rear when I got it.Yes a few extra shims here and there and even had to get longer bolts for the bumped side. Everything looked great till I tightened that sides bumperette (overriders?) made one little dimple appear.
Carl are you talkin the chrome pieces.Mine does'nt have them either, If your not using yours??
Lanse
75 2+2
76 2+2
77 Astre Formula
78 Monza Wagon
steelhead

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby AusRs » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:23 pm

they appear to come already for accident damage from the factory
I am glad that its not just my car that had to have it done (maybe the shock absorbers shrank over the years )

Carl
do you have a picture of what you mean about the front section ?
AusRs

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair