H- body Firewalls with out motor and acc's

Moderator: Moderators

H- body Firewalls with out motor and acc's

Postby MIKESMONZA » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:24 pm

I was wondering if any of you Members with Pictures of firewalls with out motors and accesorrys,,,,Would post ,,and leave descritions ,Make and model ,and course of your handy work. :arrow: If modified leave descriptions also.
I am also working on swaping a latermodel A/C unit in my 75 V8 with A/C Monza car and with parts from a 77 and up and could look at details like the HVAC holes below the cowl, The Vega/Astre firewalls would help others also in seeing the differances in 71 thru 77 models My self included have seen Improvements and with Motors in the way of improvement's not seen,
Also engine compartment side's I learned a lot from PeterPans re-weld of his inner fender panels by adding a little more where the factory left off and increasing the strenght of the front end.Thank's ahead .,,,,Mike
355,SBC,700R4Trans,3.42 rear,Sandersons,Edelbrock,Carb,Intake,Griffin,1,900 rpms at 60 MPH Highway Cruise Car.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: H- body Firewalls with out motor and acc's

Postby TopNX75 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:18 am

Hi Mike,

Hope these help...

The front hoops were tied directly to what was left of the inners. This way the sotck control arms could be retained and attached as factory. A U-shape was also added to the firewall for more distributor room...

See below!

TopNX75

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:18 pm

That was a Awesome set of Modifications and sheetmetal technique's.,,, Plus the front halved reinforcement for the front suspension and coresuport tied into your roll cage set up.
The new core support looks great also This should get some reply's as well. Mike Thanks for the reply.
355,SBC,700R4Trans,3.42 rear,Sandersons,Edelbrock,Carb,Intake,Griffin,1,900 rpms at 60 MPH Highway Cruise Car.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby bugdewde » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:40 pm

Here's my '72 Vega that has been modified to accept a later model Monza HVAC system. I only got the heater working and never completed the A/C parts.
The fire wall was cut to fit the lines of the A/C evap that went through the firewall and there was a firewall plate that covered this whole area that the outside components bolted to.
I bought the car this way.... it was done to fit the Buick V8.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:01 am

Dwight;,,,, Yours is a complete contrast,,,with the Buick V8 Swap mounts but showing it and explaining the Modification,
with a Later model A/C install and sheet metal modification into the h-body Vega firewall is a great display of what it looks like before paint,
and the sheet metal cover make's that hole disapear!,,Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzamess » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:26 am

Here's my 80 Monza 4-cyl with no A/C after some cleanup and paint:

(not the best pictures, hard to make out details)
Dennis
1980 Monza Coupe--collector of cob webs and kids' toys
2006 Honda Odyssey--daily driver
2011 Toyota Sienna--wife's
1995 Dodge Ram--for creating oil spots on the street
monzamess

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby MIKESMONZA » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:08 am

Thank's that will be a lot Like my picture's
I used a "Hy Gloss" black after,, a De' Greasing Wash and ruff up with a 3-M Abasive cloth,,
I Had to add extra work light under car to install the motor, on the darkness,,, it sucked the "light" out of the Garage and was still shiny ennough to blind you Nice picture of the use of plastic drop cloth shoved into the HVAC Hole Thank's Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby peterpan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:07 pm

these are of my 72 before during welding and after primer and paint
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby MIKESMONZA » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:56 am

PeterPan's engine compartment is the great example of the added weld's needed in most h-bodys reconstruction, The factory welds are good for mostly the original Equipment,,If the welds are still in place and tied in to the base metal with out Gap's, Crack's and Stretch at Side's.
:arrow: But need to be looked at and re-welded ,, if previously Hot -Rod'ed , or jumped over something with out your consent.

But adding a little insurance "weld" it is beter while you have it apart, And never look back at what you could,
have done to make it stronger later.,,,,Nice pictures,, also show's a lot of Skill.

I am not "critiqueing" any bodys post and pictures,

:arrow: But this is way better to show the modifications that can be done,and every body has something to add.Thanks Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby peterpan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:47 am

i did every thing i could think of or that i heard about at the time to make my car as strong as i could with the stock body

and i'm glad i did as i now want to put a 396 in it

my car was still pretty solid but i didn't want to have any problems with it later on

more pictures of what i did can be seen in my garage or my project thread titled peterpans 72 vega

thanks i am very proud of the work i have done on my 72 vega it is by far the jewel of my h-body collection
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby MIKESMONZA » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:15 pm

Any body have the :arrow: Sanderson Header Modification,,, To the passenger side upper controll arm closest to firewall on the engine compartment side ???
:arrow: Cut,,,,,Notch and Weld.,,,,It help's when making clearance for Headers and Engine Install,,, and repair's Later.,,,
Shot's from side and top and from coresuport toward's firewall ,Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby AusRs » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:20 am

one thing i noticed when i was doing my Monza is cracking around the steering box mount :( easy enough with everything removed from the car to fix BUT make sure you look for it :)
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby T-FATTY » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:00 pm

MIKESMONZA wrote:Any body have the :arrow: Sanderson Header Modification,,, To the passenger side upper controll arm closest to firewall on the engine compartment side ???
:arrow: Cut,,,,,Notch and Weld.,,,,It help's when making clearance for Headers and Engine Install,,, and repair's Later.,,,
Shot's from side and top and from coresuport toward's firewall ,Mike

Mine went in/on with no mods to that area - 1972 Vega with sbc.
My V8 parts car had mods to that area [BFH] with Doug Thoury headers when i bought it.
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Postby BillPappy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:58 pm

Im useing the Sanderson Headers no Modification was needed. 1980 sunbird
It's hard for an old street racer to stay on the safe side of stupid

Pappy
BillPappy

Postby MIKESMONZA » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:02 pm

On MY 75 Monza V8 with Sanderson's I also had plenty of Clearance,,with out the modification,,1/4 inch,,,away
But it was safer to do it early''''
may be the outer most tube cleared the uppper control arm mount with extra room,,,
to lay the header un bolted,,,, away from the head for removing and changing the large starter from below,,

:arrow: Then there might be a chance its also increases the engine "Torque Twist clearance",,,
,,,,with extra non contact clearace to body to header with side motormount's on the other h-Body's,,,,

,,,, Not experanced with front engine Mount's I.E. (Alluminum Plate) like Most early h-body's,,,,,,Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair