How to open a Stuck 75-80 H- (rear hinge) hood

Moderator: Moderators

How to open a Stuck 75-80 H- (rear hinge) hood

Postby MIKESMONZA » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:51 am

My cars have had their share of Mistakes by owner,,,I.E.
Closing Hood and later could not open it.
with out dammage to paint and Lock mechanism.
Causes like leaving the spring off the Hood,or spring not streched enough to push hood up,when lever tugged to one side.
And my favorite the radiator top hold down cover/Fan shroud top'.Left Off or Removed ,,, while working on car.
And least favorite added to that putting a Rag in the lock hole and dropping the hood down pushing the rag into the hole,and making it realy tight.
Works on Wrecked Dammaged ,,from front end collission,,, and Rusted Cars

:arrow: The Cure and Remedy
Get a :arrow: 3/8 th inch Drive X 24 inch Extension for 3/8 th's Sockets Drive,
Also You can use also a 1/2 inch By 24 inch with a male 3/8 ths to 1/2 adapter on the male end of Half inch extention and a 3/8 ths socket on top.
Raise car front a foot, chock wheels both ways
Get a Bigg block of wood,4x4 or better,Or Blocks of wood stacked
and a Hydraulic Bottle Jack.

Place wood under the area just slightly in front of core support fo radiator,
place bottle jack on top of that ,

While under front end of bumper look up and notice the tip of the captured tip from hood pin,,,
sticking out of lock.
place the little end of square drive or socket against it, and adjust the height by Jacking till
a little pressure is felt,,,,,, :arrow: Stop If car body lifts,,,, let off gently then just make it firm.

Then sticking your finger from out side thru the grill (on early models) pull the lever and gently push the hood pin up till you see a little day light
If you have a locking inside cable on later models have a helper pull gently on inside control release,
,,,,,You can also reach it (Lock Mechanism) from under car if it has a lever that is relocated or the h-body you own has a different set up on release,

Do not forget the SAFTETY LATCH it will stop on the core support ,and if you keep jacking it will bend every thing including hood

Note :arrow: But I had placed the car on Jack stand's with the Body 2 foot off the Ground,
So if your really skiiny a 12 inch 3/8th drive extension will work.
So if your Car is really LOW on the ground with a Front Spoiler
you will need to raise car safely, and try this.It works with out chiped paint , bruised finger's trying to pry hood up,

,,,,,,,I Hope you never have to go thru this,
,,,,,,,, :bang: I have on four diferent cars.2 of them h-Body's. Mike
355,SBC,700R4Trans,3.42 rear,Sandersons,Edelbrock,Carb,Intake,Griffin,1,900 rpms at 60 MPH Highway Cruise Car.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair