Rust o leum (spray paint)

Moderator: Moderators

Rust o leum (spray paint)

Postby danfigg » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:12 am

I used the rust o leum yellow paint and there primer and painted some interior metal pieces. They came out really good. I truely believe the key to this was the primer. It really helps the paint to stick and you dont have to wait for the primer to dry. I gave it a light coat of yellow three minutes after the primer was applied and gave it three coats of yellow 5 minutes apart. No wet sanding at all and the shine is nice. Its not like a mirror but it shines nice. I plan on doing the whole car like this. I am going to start with the engine bay, inside of the car jams etc and underneath. Then I will see how things look and go for the outside of the car. Does any one think the spray paint rustoleum will work or should I start the roller paint method. I have a quart of the same yellow and thought about spray can painting a fender and then doing the roller method over the spray painted fender. Will the plastic accept the rustoleum paint I.E bumpers, nose, spoiler. Thanks --------danfigg
danfigg

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Re: Rust o leum (spray paint)

Postby gerbsinmd » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:43 am

Rustoleum should work just fine being sprayed. It would be better than using a spray bomb from your favorite stores. As I recall the stuff in a can has more pigment. I am having no problem at all using Rustoleum on the bumpers etc on my car. I am finding that it is very flexible and adheres very well.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby monzamess » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:48 am

Wild guess since I have no real experience with this: If you want to sand and polish the paint, you'll want to roll it on so you get a thicker coat and more for your money--Rustoleum (or any paint) in a spray can is way more expensive than the regular cans. If you're happy with the finish right out of the spray can, those will be more convenient, but consider this. About 10 years ago I spent almost $200 on spray paint and related stuff to paint a little CRX. I could have taken it Maaco for that price for probably better results--you do the prep and finishing work, just get them to put on the paint.
Dennis
1980 Monza Coupe--collector of cob webs and kids' toys
2006 Honda Odyssey--daily driver
2011 Toyota Sienna--wife's
1995 Dodge Ram--for creating oil spots on the street
monzamess

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby spyder_xlch » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:57 pm

I painted a truck for someone once using rustoleum paint. I sprayed it out of a regular paint gun. Came out pretty good actually and it's still holding up after 8 years. The guy who owned the truck mixed the paint/thinner and I know he didn't measure anything. He just thinned it to where he thought it was thin enough to spray and added some stuff called Japan Dry so it would dry faster. I don't even know what thinner he used but it was hardware store stuff.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby AusRs » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:05 am

spyder_xlch wrote:I painted a truck for someone once using rustoleum paint. I sprayed it out of a regular paint gun. Came out pretty good actually and it's still holding up after 8 years. The guy who owned the truck mixed the paint/thinner and I know he didn't measure anything. He just thinned it to where he thought it was thin enough to spray and added some stuff called Japan Dry so it would dry faster. I don't even know what thinner he used but it was hardware store stuff.

i Agree
IF you want to spray the car why spend so much on cans of spray ??? buy it in 4 liter tin and thin down to spray ,also use a hardening agent ..........easy :)
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby spyder_xlch » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:49 am

I know he didn't use hardener. Rustoleum paint is pretty hard when it drys. I don't know how well it would work on flexable parts though (this was a pick up I painted, all metal) you may need a flex agent mixed in on bumper covers and such.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair