rust removal

Moderator: Moderators

rust removal

Postby danfigg » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:32 am

Hey all I am in the process of stripping a fender and continue on to the rest of the car. This is what I found. I used paint stipper Mar-Hyde this stuff is great. Stipped the paint with a few applications( 5 layers of paint). I also decided to strip the inside of the fender which i used POR-15. The POR-15 is no match for the paint stripper but this is what I found. The rust was under the paint on the inside of the fender. As i removed it with my grinder using very light pressure i found a shit load of pin hole rust holes. I had already sand the outside thinking I was done and ready to start painting it. It was a good thing I decided to redo the inside as well. The POR-15 kept the rust at bay for close to 10 years but had I paint this fender im sure within 2 years the rust would have eaten it's way thru. This may not concern anyone but this is a removable part and could probably be replaced instead of me going thru all of this but what about the rear quarters. I have rust on them as well and will have to do alot of repairs to them. I am sure there is rust on the back side of them or on the inner quarts. How can I keep the rust from continuing to do damage. I know there are rust converters and all but you cant get in every noock and cranny for this product to be effective.---danfigg
danfigg

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Re: rust removal

Postby Jitterbugdude » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:16 am

I had (have) the same dilema on a 73 F100 truck. I used POR 15 almost everywhere. There were a few places that I could not reach so I used Eastwoods "Rust Encapsulator" in a spray can. I was able to spray the stuff pretty far in the nooks and crannies. One year later I am able to compare the 2 products. They both seem to work about the same but POR 15 is definately a harder finish. The other thing I do is every fall climb under my vehicles and spray oil everywhere. This is in hopes of stopping the salt damage that will come from the snow storms! The stuff I use is BoeShield. It was originally made by Boeing and when you spray it it will dry, leaving a waxing protective coating. Randy B
Jitterbugdude

Re: rust removal

Postby danfigg » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:31 am

Fender is almost stripped down. The outside is to metal,now im working on the inside. Three layers of paint and one layer of under coating. They only did half the fender with paint and under coating. I dont get that. The front part of the fender was undercoated and primered and painted. The back part which is closest to the door only had primer and that is where the rust is at. What kind of halfass BS is that. Anyway I have a neighbor who has a back pack sand blaster and he is going to lend it to me. I hope it works good----------danfigg
danfigg

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair