Door and side window trim removal?

Moderator: Moderators

Door and side window trim removal?

Postby 78spyder » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:06 pm

Going to be painting the Vega come spring. My experiance in junkyards are the side window trim and quarter window trim is VERY difficult to pull off without mangling it badly, at least when I tried to pull them of of a junkyard car awhile back. Is there a trick, or would it be in my best interest to mask carefully up to the edge on them with the utmost precision? I was able to remove the windsheild and hatch trim with no problem. I'm afraid of damaging the trim. My Monza was easy, this one is not. Ideas? Just mask carefully?
78spyder

Re: Door and side window trim removal?

Postby cos2482 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:34 am

If you are trying to remove the door window moldings, follow this tech tip from the CVOA website.

http://www.cosworthvega.com/vega_window_trim.html

If you are trying to remove the rear 1/4-window moldings, you need to remove the seal and window from the car, then remove the window glass from the seal. The trim should pop out of the seal very easily.

If you are removing the trim from the optional pop-out rear 1/4-windows, the trim is glued to the window face with small metal clips. Most of those fell of on their own years ago and are hard to find now.
Jim
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2007 ... ves-vegas/

1973 Vega GT Hatchback (Millionth Vega)
1975 Vega GT Kammback (Nomad modification)
1976 Vega GT Hatchback (stock)
1976 Vega Cosworth (white/white, stock)
1977 Vega Estate (stock)
1977 Vega Hatchback (stock, bought new)
2011 Ford Ranger XLT (2,3 twincam 5spd std)
2000 Ford ranger XLT (2,5L 5spd std)
2003 Chevrolet Tracker (LT)
2015 Chevrolet Trax LTZ AWD
cos2482

Re: Door and side window trim removal?

Postby Jacobs76astre » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:57 pm

I just ended up scraping mine, anyone hurd of another seal for the front and back windows so that i dont have to put the trim back on?
Jacobs76astre

Return to Bodywork and Accident Repair